Other YT channels like Heat Geek, Skill Builder?

That's interesting I've not seen a bodge of his, care to share? He seems like he does a good job in the videos I've seen.

I've seen a number of his videos which make me shudder. For example one about making good around a new window, another in a toilet the list goes on.

These are so rushed that down the line there will be movement, cracks and damp, but I can understand its partly the way of modern trades. He also makes some incorrect statements about chemicals and tools. What's sad is that he considers this fine to put online which reflects on the state of modern trades really and overall perhaps he's not that bad compared to some.

When I started out renovating my own homes almost 40 years ago, I did work to save money not to get a better result. Now I do work to get a vastly better result and on the occasions I've spent a lot of money on professionals the result has often been poor at best even when I've paid top rates.

Love David Savery. Someone posted a link here in another thread for one of his videos and it was a stark difference to the tone of the usual channels you'd see, but also had interesting videos explaining the technical aspects if you cared to listen.

A lot of the channels I've subscribed to already mentioned. One that I haven't seen is @NBundyElectrical which I also enjoy watching. There's also @BuildWithAE if you like watching some high quality builds and restorations.

The only USA based channel I have in my list is @StudPack. It's pretty good although it's not transferrable to here. I remember stumbling upon the channel when looking at suspended flooring repair videos and finding one of theirs.

Currently binging DSE's videos but he seems to not have as many videos out as he used to.
Echoing Nick Bundy - enjoy his stuff lately.

For the America stuff Perkins builder brothers is the only one I follow

What's nice is although the channels might be the same trade (say electricians in this case), each one has their own niche and cover different parts in the industry which gives a good variety to watch.

I got into the videos during lockdown when trying to get more informed about good building works and buying a home as I had zero knowledge of what is good or bad. I'm guessing some others' may have been in the same boat and hopefully watching some of the channels helped.

Dunno much about the channel and not quite DIY but related - but Epic UpCycling has some quite innovative approaches to stuff - picked up a few techniques most people would have never thought of.

A lot have been already mentioned, but @TheDIYGuy1 tends to put out decent videos as well. His bathroom series from a few weeks ago took you through it step by step. Not sure if I am brave enough, but it's a job I need doing at some point in the future.

I've seen a number of his videos which make me shudder. For example one about making good around a new window, another in a toilet the list goes on.

These are so rushed that down the line there will be movement, cracks and damp, but I can understand its partly the way of modern trades. He also makes some incorrect statements about chemicals and tools. What's sad is that he considers this fine to put online which reflects on the state of modern trades really and overall perhaps he's not that bad compared to some.

When I started out renovating my own homes almost 40 years ago, I did work to save money not to get a better result. Now I do work to get a vastly better result and on the occasions I've spent a lot of money on professionals the result has often been poor at best even when I've paid top rates.

What about his plastering though? I only really watch his plastering tips as that's where his expertise is. I did see his bathroom renovation video and he did keep saying that he's not an expert on that.

He seems quite honest from what I can tell. Certainly more honest than traders I've encountered in real life.

Again though, I am a noob!

Last edited:
What about his plastering though? I only really watch his plastering tips as that's where his expertise is. I did see his bathroom renovation video and he did keep saying that he's not an expert on that.

He seems quite honest from what I can tell. Certainly more honest than traders I've encountered in real life.

Again though, I am a noob!
The specific bodges haven't really been mentioned in the reply TBH. I agree with you he seems to do it well. There are bits where he goes beyond his job that other trades should cover (one example was putting in a block of wood at the window frame top to allow the homeowner to be able to screw into something for blinds/curtains instead of a hollow section behind the plasterboard).

Farmcraft101 - one of my absolute favourites. Lots of heavy machinery DIY, but a broad range of fixes from an American farmer - I find it extremely relaxing, but highlights my laziness.

Last edited:
The Artisan guy did a video not that long ago where he was having a kind of breakdown on camera due to the stress of running his business, needing to find work for his guys and the work had dried up a bit and he had them stood around a bit but was still having to pay them.
It was like an entire video where he basically wanted you to feel sorry for him, I'm sorry but when you are charging those prices I can't feel sorry for you 1 bit. If you are charging those kind of prices what have you done with all the money you've made ??

Roger from skillbuilder often gets loads of stick in the comments, but I guess any trade video you watch has people telling them everything they did wrong. He seems ok to me.

This is just because a few make it as "Youtubers" and everyone fancies a bit of that youtube money.
I run my own business and have often thought about it myself, but every YT channel in my industry has very few followers due to the boring nature of the content.

Cory from artisan who left has his own OY electrical which is quite good, not up his own backside and seems like good fun.

I like Roger on the skill builder one. Seems a nice guy. And Robin Clevett. I quite like that plumber dude @plumberparts from time to time. I've been seeing a few of these vids come up recently from @homeimprovements where they did work on Mat Armstrong's garden/house.

I've gone off watching electrician ones in general I think. I don't know why, but I find electrician youtube channels tend to be more about how everything is so dangerously done and they are such a hero for fixing it, and yes we should pay them to the ends of the earth for their work. It's very defensive and samey. Have heard of some of the prices Artisan charge for their work? lol There was one where they wanted to charge over 10K for a bit of rewiring and a new Consumer unit. The guy is a bit two faced as well.

This is the same for me.

I find in general though people generally think oh the fuse in the plug top has gone got to get a spark out and they’ll play on that in order to charge crazy prices. Theres a running joke(probably some truth to it) in the trades about sparks always being rich.

This is the same for me.

I find in general though people generally think oh the fuse in the plug top has gone got to get a spark out and they’ll play on that in order to charge crazy prices. Theres a running joke(probably some truth to it) in the trades about sparks always being rich.

I know two. They both happen to own their own companies so perhaps not a fair gauge. They are both quite well off.

This is the same for me.

I actually find use in tha (sparks channels pointing out bad work). One of the reasons I got into watching these channels was the worry about not knowing what to ask or what is good quality work.

Seeing some of the sparks mention common issues of bad practice helps me be more informed and knowledgeable what you can and can't do yourself, and how to do it properly if you do.

Last edited:
Found another channel myself “Loving Plumbing”, which is pretty decent. Kind of down to earth presentation style. Doesn’t seem to upload that often.

There’s a random channel called Flowering Elbow that is from an eccentric bloke that has done an UFH install himself.

Glyn Hudson has a couple of good videos about self installing heat pumps.

What about his plastering though?

About the same as his general approach. I get he's about average, but he keeps boasting about earnings and using the least tools because he's too large to bend or use more than one trowel as he cannot be bothered (or his apprentice) to clean them. He also states some rubbish in the SBR/PVA debate (both have their roles in practice) and for me he's all that's bad about trades doing youtube videos.

I've been renovating my homes for 4 decades from top to bottom and before the youtube era (my day job is software related so I am not adverse to tech) and if you want a more down to earth plasterer look at 'Plastering For Beginners'.

About the same as his general approach. I get he's about average, but he keeps boasting about earnings and using the least tools because he's too large to bend or use more than one trowel as he cannot be bothered (or his apprentice) to clean them. He also states some rubbish in the SBR/PVA debate (both have their roles in practice) and for me he's all that's bad about trades doing youtube videos.

I've been renovating my homes for 4 decades from top to bottom and before the youtube era (my day job is software related so I am not adverse to tech) and if you want a more down to earth plasterer look at 'Plastering For Beginners'.
Ah, I did watch the SBR video, do you not recommend using it for sealing a wall?

I have watched Plastering for Beginners also, and another one called Build with A&E.

Ah, I did watch the SBR video, do you not recommend using it for sealing a wall?

I use both but they have different purposes, although they overlap depending on substrate, number of coats and the type of plaster you are applying. He is just fixated with using SBR neat which is not ideal in all cases. In contrast the P4B chap almost never uses SBR which was originally an additive for cement based products (I’ve used it for patching screed and concrete for years).

He also skips the various grit bonding products which are excellent for difficult surfaces and P4B covers these well. I suppose its his do the least, with the least tools and the fewest chemicals approach whilst boasting how great he is amd how much he can earn that doesn’t sit well with me. I am thankful that I can plaster my own rooms.

Back
Top Bottom