• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** OUR FIRST 8 PACK APPROVED OC BUNDLE: OVERCLOCKED, DISCOUNTED, ELITE TIER VERY FAST!! **

Soldato
Definitely approve of the guaranteed overclock on this bundle - the generally-unlucky types amongst us are not fans of the silicon lottery ^^;

Any chance we'll be seeing some Skylakes in the speed binned processors section, for folks who have half the bits already? :)

Associate
Goes to bump up to 4.7ghz @ 1.36v to test now Ive seen upto 1.4v is ok aslong as temps are good...

I compared against my settings for MSI board but not all the same or worded different. Ive screenshotted by settings, does anyone know where they go?

Thanks,
Sean

Soldato
For a few quid more you could get this:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-062-OG&groupid=2833&catid=2512&subcat=3087

Why have 4 cores when you can have 6 for a similar price?

Many would prefer 4 faster cores when they are gaming with 1-2 GPU's, as no games get more FPS with more than 4 cores currently.

Why have 2 useless cores doing nothing and sucking electricity, producing extra heat, for no performance advantage in games?

Of course for those with 4 GPU's, then X99 with a 5930k/5960X with 40 PCI-E lanes is needed, but for 99% of us it's not.

Just mentioning again this is just for gaming - if you're encoding video/streaming, X99 is superior.

Associate
Many would prefer 4 faster cores when they are gaming with 1-2 GPU's, as no games get more FPS with more than 4 cores currently.

Why have 2 useless cores doing nothing and sucking electricity, producing extra heat, for no performance advantage in games?

Of course for those with 4 GPU's, then X99 with a 5930k/5960X with 40 PCI-E lanes is needed, but for 99% of us it's not.

Just mentioning again this is just for gaming - if you're encoding video/streaming, X99 is superior.

6 cores will always beat 4 and with the X99 you could drop in the 8 core chips further on.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18691348

Seems a no brainer to me for the same price.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great bundle. Skylake is such an easy platform to overclock and great performance to boot.

One reason despite available lanes for MGPU - is learning curve. Skylake is a far easier platform on DDR4 for users to jump to - assuming you are overclocking

How you guys getting 4.5gz with 1.2v, i must be doing something wrong i cnt even get 4.2 stable with 1.2

Depends how stability is tested, for Prime 28.7 you will need (as much as 50mv -100mv) considerably higher voltage with AVX 2.0 routines. This is down to how you feel you want to test stability. Realbench is a great stability test on Skylake, I wouldn't push Prime on anyone for this platform

Last edited:
Associate

If it was me, the 5820K would be my choice mostly because of the following:

1: 2 More cores (4 threads total)
2: The Haswell architecture maxes out most games already well below 4ghz
3: The Skylake has less PCIE lanes than Haswell-E (I know they have more this time but its still less unless I missed something)
4: Your going to get more distance in games in the future even with lets say 10% less on a clock to clock basis with the extra cores.
5: More room for expansion on the motherboard (X99 vs Z170)

That is my opinion of course!

OcUK Staff
^^ Andy has a good point and this is what I showed when I first tested Skylake. I recomended 5820K.

But some guys do want 2%-3% faster in single thread and gaming. They also want low power.

This product is for those end users.

This Bundle is approved as I fully tested its compatability and guarenteed an overclock at a competative price point.

There is a lot of difference between 8Pack approved and 8Pack product.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it was me, the 5820K would be my choice mostly because of the following:

1: 2 More cores (4 threads total)
2: The Haswell architecture maxes out most games already well below 4ghz
3: The Skylake has less PCIE lanes than Haswell-E (I know they have more this time but its still less unless I missed something)
4: Your going to get more distance in games in the future even with lets say 10% less on a clock to clock basis with the extra cores.
5: More room for expansion on the motherboard (X99 vs Z170)

That is my opinion of course!

1. 2 more cores are pointless if they are not used. Modern games do not show any benefit going from 4 to 6 Intel cores, none at all.
2. No it doesn't. There are plenty of CPU bound games - WoW (and other MMO's), Arma3 to name just two.
3. A 5820k can't run two GPU's in x16 x16 mode, only a 5930k or 5960x can, so Skylake is identical to a 5920k for 2 GPU uses in terms of PCI-E lanes. Skylake can also support a 4X PCI-E SSD from the Z170 chipset, thanks to DMI 3.0.
4. Do you really believe game developers will dedicate resources to make games perform better on 6+core intel CPU's, when less than 1% of the PC gamer userbase has a 6+ core CPU? The answer is no - they develop for the mainstream, not for the enthusiast.
5. This is only a benefit if the user is planning on 4 way crossfire/SLI, in which case he needs a 5930k or a 5960x to actually run 4 GPU's well, as a 5820k doesn't have enough lanes to do so (neither does Skylake).

Last edited:
Associate
1. 2 more cores are pointless if they are not used. Modern games do not show any benefit going from 4 to 6 Intel cores, none at all.
2. No it doesn't. There are plenty of CPU bound games - WoW (and other MMO's), Arma3 to name just two.
3. A 5820k can't run two GPU's in x16 x16 mode, only a 5930k or 5960x can, so Skylake is identical to a 5920k for 2 GPU uses in terms of PCI-E lanes. Skylake can also support a 4X PCI-E SSD from the Z170 chipset, thanks to DMI 3.0.
4. Do you really believe game developers will dedicate resources to make games perform better on 6+core intel CPU's, when less than 1% of the PC gamer userbase has a 6+ core CPU? The answer is no - they develop for the mainstream, not for the enthusiast.
5. This is only a benefit if the user is planning on 4 way crossfire/SLI, in which case he needs a 5930k or a 5960x to actually run 4 GPU's well, as a 5820k doesn't have enough lanes to do so (neither does Skylake).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. 8 Pack agrees with my opinion :)

Associate
But some guys do want 2%-3% faster in single thread and gaming. They also want low power.

This product is for those end users.

This Bundle is approved as I fully tested its compatability and guarenteed an overclock at a competative price point.

Ahem. So shouldn't that reasoning also work to justify an i5-6600K version of this same bundle then? (presumably just by swapping the CPU and nothing else).

Back
Top Bottom