Our NEW MSI GS30 Shadow & GamingDock - Coming soon!

Associate
If they changed the shape of this notebook to a mini version of the GS70 I would be buying it straight away. Atm it just looks so ugly. Really hoping for some changes to aesthetics before release.

Associate
Also I hate the fact that the notebook hangs over the front of the dock. Could the dock not be widened a bit to cater for this?

Associate
While I'm still interrested in the offering im wondering how this set up would fit onto a regular work table.

As before I really think a better designed dock would make this a much more viable option, redesigning the standard laptop docking station as a starting point for example seems a complete no brainer, but this block with a laptop balanced on top is just so ugly.

I imagine someone will take this idea and design a far more attractive dock leaving MSI sucking dirt.

Associate
While I'm still interrested in the offering im wondering how this set up would fit onto a regular work table.

As before I really think a better designed dock would make this a much more viable option, redesigning the standard laptop docking station as a starting point for example seems a complete no brainer, but this block with a laptop balanced on top is just so ugly.

I imagine someone will take this idea and design a far more attractive dock leaving MSI sucking dirt.

All they really needed to do was take the aesthetics of the GS70 and change it to a 13" form factor. That wouldve been an incredibly attractive offering and something i'd be very keen to purchase. Instead we have ended up with a plastic, tacky looking notebook which just doesn't look like a quality product.

I'm kind of won over by the concept of having a desktop GPU for my laptop, however the aesthetics of this product are what really let it down at the moment.

Caporegime
All they really needed to do was take the aesthetics of the GS70 and change it to a 13" form factor. That wouldve been an incredibly attractive offering and something i'd be very keen to purchase. Instead we have ended up with a plastic, tacky looking notebook which just doesn't look like a quality product.

I'm kind of won over by the concept of having a desktop GPU for my laptop, however the aesthetics of this product are what really let it down at the moment.

To be fair it's not the usual MSI-esque tackiness... it just kind of looks like a generic Clevo design with an MSI badge on it.

The dock design though is still atrocious and in this context possibly the least practical thing I have ever seen.

Associate
To be fair it's not the usual MSI-esque tackiness... it just kind of looks like a generic Clevo design with an MSI badge on it.

The dock design though is still atrocious and in this context possibly the least practical thing I have ever seen.

It's got potential for sure. Implementation just looks really sloppy. As I said before, they have done an amazing job with the GS70's aesthetics so why not just take that look to a smaller form factor? Coupled with a much better design for the dock and they'd be onto a winner for sure.

Soldato
I think this is a great idea but have to agree the design is a bit weird. looking at other pics it looks like a standard ATX PSU is also housed in the unit as well.

Caporegime
The external GPU needs to be somehow a cable-esque connection so the unit can be separate to the laptop without being docked upon it. Tucked or mounted under a table or laying to the side etc. If they did that, and added the same port to their 15" and 17" laptop range, they would have an overnight sensation on their hands.

Im not so sure that Nvidia would be so happy about it though if it impacted mobile GPU sales across the MSI range of gaming laptops... :D

Soldato
That video shows how to use this.

At home, dock the laptop to one side and game like it was a desktop.

But when you are on the move - working, studying, travelling - take the laptop with you but knowing you cannot play intensive games. The Intel Iris can run simple stuff tbh. My Mac has one and gets 25fps on CSGO (small res).

I like the idea. The aesthetics are not great but I think people are not seeing the potential

But I bet it's bloody expensive

Associate

But when you are on the move - working, studying, travelling - take the laptop with you but knowing you cannot play intensive games. The Intel Iris can run simple stuff tbh. My Mac has one and gets 25fps on CSGO (small res).

I like the idea. The aesthetics are not great but I think people are not seeing the potential

I'm assuming that the design wont be changed now so the one thing that can win me over is the price. Alienware 13 is around £1k so i'd like to see this around £800 with the dock included. Mainly because the alienware has a GTX860m and this doesn't.

Any more than £800 would be a bit of a joke in my opinion. Especially as you have to buy an external GPU for any of this to be beneficial.

Soldato

a lot of people (me included) see the potential of a laptop External GPU dock, it is the execution which is severly lacking.

I think the biggest problem I have with it is the way the laptop just looks like it is balancing on top of a old shuttle case. The whole dock should be redesigned so it is wider, deeper but no where near as tall (in line with the footprint of the laptop). The GPU could lay flat and suck in air from the sides / bottom whilst the PSU could be more laptop esque but built in. Heck it could even have a gaming laptop power brick as the larger ones will be more than enough for a single high end GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
a lot of people (me included) see the potential of a laptop External GPU dock, it is the execution which is severly lacking.

I think the biggest problem I have with it is the way the laptop just looks like it is balancing on top of a old shuttle case. The whole dock should be redesigned so it is wider, deeper but no where near as tall (in line with the footprint of the laptop). The GPU could lay flat and suck in air from the sides / bottom whilst the PSU could be more laptop esque but built in. Heck it could even have a gaming laptop power brick as the larger ones will be more than enough for a single high end GPU.

+1

Those changes to the dock and an overall change to the notebook itself would make it a winner in my books. Hopefully we will see more at CES and maybe something from competitors.

Back
Top Bottom