Out of hours support?

Associate
My staff and me are paid no standby rate for being on call but do get 1.5x hour for calls we actually work on. This is paid in 30min blocks so a 5 min call pays 75% of an hours pay. All staff do 1 week on primary call and 1 week on backup. They organise themselves if they need to go out and put on diverts. Does not limit social lives too much and they are rewarded for actual work done.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Where I was, it worked out to be 9% of annual take home pay as an on-call incentive. Any calls received were counted, the first "hour" of every call was free, the second hour was counted as double time. The first hour was allowed for up to three independent calls (unrelated issues), so any more than three from 5pm-11pm and you were allowed to count it as a normal hour's work. Any disturbance from 11pm-9am was then counted as double time, and if any calls are taken from 3am onwards, you weren't expected to be in at 9am.

It was a fairly good on-call package :D

Associate
I currently get a set hourly rate of 3.50 pre hour for on call hours and if I am called out then I get the standard overtime rate for my grade at a min of 2 hours.

So if a call take 10 mins I claim 2 hours and if it take 2hours 1 min I claims 4

Soldato
What type of role was that for? What type of calls did you get?

I used to cover second & third line server support.

Usually was alarms from the monitoring guys, anything from a failed backup to "xyz customer went offline, then they called saying their comms room suffered a quite a serious fire and now they need £500k worth of gold backup kit shipped to site and everything restored from backups." The latter was a large financial institute and was a few day before Xmas and the day of the our company xmas party. Having to pull virtually every consultant and engineer I could lay my hands out of the party did not make me a popular guy!

Most of the time I used to remote into whatever customer, quickly sort it and go back to bed. It was rarely more than a 10-15min job and I used to get 3-4 calls a week so was easy money.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
We used to get 200 a week for being on call, then time and a half Monday-Friday, double time at weekends if called.

Even though they just used to forward the helpdesk phone to our mobiles we were only there for infrastructure support as such. If someone called with a pc fault or something we weren't there to fix that, server/network stuff only (unless it was a director and you wanted brownie points ;) ).

This was in a company that had no critical 24/7 infrastructure where out of hours call outs were very rare indeed.

Soldato
We get £1.25 per hour just for being on-call and cover Weds to Weds, 1 in every 4 weeks, covering outside of business hours, so usually 5pm til 8am and that works out around £160 for doing the week, obviously if you cover for one of the other lads or if you're feeling a tad skint one month, you can offer to do the other lads and get their £160 for their week.

We then get paid for "work done" which includes phone calls as well as remote access fixing things and then we claim travel expenses if we need to drive in to fix things physically. Support 3 hospitals so when critical departments like A&E or Theatres ring, you need to be there within an hour and obviously you cant turn up stinking of booze :)

Soldato
I used to do 1 evening a week from 5pm to 9am along with my normal 9-5 shift and got paid a flat £50, although I hardly ever got calls. Think I went for 7 weeks without one but when they did call it was always 2-3am

MW

Back
Top Bottom