Outlook on Mac / Mac mail ?

Commissario
This may be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

If I install Outlook on my iMac, will it connect to my iCloud Mail, grab all the existing folders, etc?

I'm assuming that because it's all server based that it's as simple as that?

amirite?

Commissario
OP
Yeah, it's been £40 on CCC a couple of times but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I bought it today and it doesn't actually do what I want. I have a full complement of aliases on my iCloud account and it seems that the only way to select a different outgoing email address is to manually edit it in Preferences Accounts > Email address

Also there's no archiving. I don't want to archive to a pst but I really want to be able to set up automated pruning on specific folders to delete emails older than a certain date.

Soldato
I know for all the talk of the online version being the latest version. I know it doesn't have the depth of rules that the windows desktop version does.

Even in the windows desktop client some rules only run in the client. If you close the client. Turn off the machine etc. Only a much smaller sub set of rules on the exchange server in the background.

I assume the Apple client might be similarly less featured. It's office VBA model is limited compared to the Windows version as well. Never used it on Apple though so I could be completely wrong.

Soldato
Unfortunately to get the most out of Outlook, you need to be using Exchange (no surprise there) for mail otherwise it becomes a vanilla mail client. But you can get around somethings....

I have a full complement of aliases on my iCloud account and it seems that the only way to select a different outgoing email address is to manually edit it in Preferences Accounts > Email address

To replicate Mac Mail's aliases, set them up as individual accounts, primary and then secondaries (try SMTP only for those), at which point you'll be able to change the FROM field when creating an email.

Also there's no archiving.

Unless you're mail provider is handling archiving, then, as you have found, you're limited to PST exports.
Although arguably you can replicate something similar by using Outlook rules and creating a rule to move mail to an "Archive" folder after X many days.
Similarly, you can create a rule again to delete mail from X,Y,Z folder(s) after X many days.

None of this is anything to do with the rules.

Outlook rules are extremely powerful and it's one way to replicate some server-side functionality that your mail service doesn't provide.

Even in the windows desktop client some rules only run in the client. If you close the client. Turn off the machine etc. Only a much smaller sub set of rules on the exchange server in the background.

Sure but it depends on what control of the Exchange server you have. But Exchange has a lot of built-in policies to handle basic tasks like archiving and mail retention etc.

I assume the Apple client might be similarly less featured. It's office VBA model is limited compared to the Windows version as well. Never used it on Apple though so I could be completely wrong.

It's a lot better since they've merge a lot of the codebase but as you rightly say, there is still some parity issues between the two platforms. Although i believe VBA and Macro's are now supported to some extent but it's not something i've ever had to use whilst in a Mac environment.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
Unless you're mail provider is handling archiving, then, as you have found, you're limited to PST exports.
Although arguably you can replicate something similar by using Outlook rules and creating a rule to move mail to an "Archive" folder after X many days.
Similarly, you can create a rule again to delete mail from X,Y,Z folder(s) after X many days.

Outlook rules are extremely powerful and it's one way to replicate some server-side functionality that your mail service doesn't provide.

Actually I can't see any way to a) archive to a pst and b) delete emails over x days.

Rules are applied when messages arrive and I really can't see any way to delete emails from folders after a set period using a rule. I've just spent the last half an hour looking through the rules and simply can't see anything like that at all. Yes, the processing rules within Outlook are far more detailed than on icloud.com but they still don't do what I hoped they would.

Soldato
Actually I can't see any way...

Apologies, it's not PST under Mac but rather OLM exporting but to export - select File > Export, select the components you want to export and press Continue, enter a filename and press Save.

So for archiving, create a new folder called "Archive" (or whatever you wish) then within Rules, set the condition to Date Received Is Greater Than or Equal to XXXX days old; set the 'Do the following' (action) to Move Message Archive (On my Computer).
For deleting mail, you would do something similar albeit making sure If all conditions are met is selected and you would add an additional condition to select the correct folder(s) and the action would be to delete the message(s).

Granted these rules are only triggered when mail is received and it's not as feature rich as Outlook for Windows but it should do what you're after.

Edit - Found a quick guide on archiving rules under Outlook Mac (it's for 2011 but should work for v16/2021) - https://kb.intermedia.net/article/2407

Commissario
OP
To replicate Mac Mail's aliases, set them up as individual accounts, primary and then secondaries (try SMTP only for those), at which point you'll be able to change the FROM field when creating an email.
That sort of works but each instance I set up downloads a full new copy of the mailbox! Then when I select the consolidated inbox, I see multiple copies of each email because it's pulling in one from each account. It's not possible to set up an account without valid inbox settings so I can't just set them up for outgoing.

I'm not going to use Outlook, unless Microsoft can properly deal with iCloud accounts, it's not worth it for me.

Soldato
It's not possible to set up an account without valid inbox settings so I can't just set them up for outgoing.

Appreciate it's a bodge but the workaround is to either use a dummy server address or port for the incoming mail - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...look-for/f9ce29ba-dbf6-4563-8139-f37df9a24284

I'm not going to use Outlook, unless Microsoft can properly deal with iCloud accounts, it's not worth it for me.

It's not particularly an iCloud issue, rather it's IMAP/POP accounts as Outlook (app) is understandably geared towards Exchange. But yup, they should definitely add the option of assigning multiple aliases when using IMAP/POP accounts.

Commissario
OP
Back
Top Bottom