Outside Lights - Hue Lights Vs Lights with Hue Bulbs

Soldato
Afternoon!

Amongst our renovations we need 5 outdoor lights on the new extension. I was looking at those smart pointy uppy downy hue lights but at £190 each they're obviously pretty pricey.

Would it be a terrible idea to just get regular lights and stick Hue/ZigBee bulbs in? I appreciate I'd have to control twice as many devices but when Home Assistant is up and running properly it shouldn't be such a big deal?

Also, anyone have any good outdoor lights recommendations? There seems to be little middle ground between £200 form Philips and £14 from B+Q

I did the same. Bought some nice looking outdoor up/down lights off Amazon for about £30-50 in nice gunmetal/grey style colour which matched our house number plaque thing, and then popped a couple of GU10 smart bulbs in them. Looks really good. Easily controllable via our alexa household on schedules/dusk/dawn. Can even program events so when the doorbell gets pressed, they change colour to blue (same as ring doorbell colour). Can change them for Halloween/Xmas and stuff.

I got a set of up down enclosures and stuck my own coloured GU10 hue bulbs in

The fittings were £30 for a set of 3, work perfectly and the bulbs ..got them on offer, so didn't cost much after I sold the rest of the starter kit parts

Last edited:
Instead of Hue GU10's which are ridiculously overpriced, there are plenty of alternatives.

The Govee 400Lm RGBWW GU10's are £30 for 4 and are wifi based, so no hub required and should be fine with the Home Assistant integration as well.

Even the Phillips 'Wiz' RGB GU10's are £15ea and they work great with Home Assistant, or just from their App (They are Wifi bsaed, so no hub required).

Last edited:
Not everyone cares about not having a hub, I use Hue because it works reliably, all the time. I’ve tried other systems and they’ve always had problems, even non-Hue Zigbee stuff has been problematic.

The hub comment is simply about the financial implications of not requiring one.

Hue is just ridiculously overpriced now, I have over £2k of hue products that I've accrued over the last 8 years, I've been through all generations of product and I've had a few items fail and several issues with the hubs needing rebooting, there are equivalent products/platforms now with better performance and arguably identical quality.

Instead of Hue GU10's which are ridiculously overpriced, there are plenty of alternatives.

The Govee 400Lm RGBWW GU10's are £30 for 4 and are wifi based, so no hub required and should be fine with the Home Assistant integration as well.

Even the Phillips 'Wiz' RGB GU10's are £15ea and they work great with Home Assistant, or just from their App (They are Wifi bsaed, so no hub required).
Sorry but no way are the govee WiFi bulbs anywhere near hue in terms of performance, responsiveness and ease of use. The govee app is garbage. I have 6 in my eaves and they're garbage compared to the 12 hue interior gu10s.

Last edited:
If you just want remote on/off/dimming you can use regular lights with ZigBee control modules from Sonoff. I've got Hue lights around the house, but my flowerbeds are Sonoff controlled and I used a dimmer module for some furniture lights from them too. Much cheaper than Hue and controllable from the same app and hub.

Alexa, turn on garden....

Oh, they also do light switches that are ZigBee so that's an option for retrofitting to existing 'simple' lights. Got one of those in the study.

Depends on your use case, but for some of our garden lighting we have standard enclosures with cheapish dimmable bulbs, all wired in series and connected via a zigbee dimmer like this. Works perfectly, on and off at sunset/sunrise, dims later at night and then comes on full brightness if movement is detected via hue motion sensors.

Thanks all.

I think I will get regular outdoor ip65 GU10 lights for now and make a bulb decision further on. To be honest I hadn't realised the GU10 Hues were so spenny. That's £600 on bulbs ><

The ZigBee control module seems like the most cost effective route. Does it just mount behind the switch? Might be tricky as the outside lights will be on a 4 bank switch.

The hub comment is simply about the financial implications of not requiring one.

Hue is just ridiculously overpriced now, I have over £2k of hue products that I've accrued over the last 8 years, I've been through all generations of product and I've had a few items fail and several issues with the hubs needing rebooting, there are equivalent products/platforms now with better performance and arguably identical quality.

That hasn't been my experience, we have Hue lights throughout the house controlled by a combination of motion sensors, Hue Dimmers and voice via Alexa. It "just works". I did try some of the IKEA bulbs, and Osram ones - did have issues with those. Hue is expensive, and I do try to buy the lights I need when they're on offer - but I've not had reliability issues with any of it in (similar time frames to you there)

That hasn't been my experience, we have Hue lights throughout the house controlled by a combination of motion sensors, Hue Dimmers and voice via Alexa. It "just works". I did try some of the IKEA bulbs, and Osram ones - did have issues with those. Hue is expensive, and I do try to buy the lights I need when they're on offer - but I've not had reliability issues with any of it in (similar time frames to you there)
Likewise, i've never had a hue product fail and i've been using them for many years. However on price they are right, its ridiculous now, the only feasible time to buy is black friday as hue seems to be one of the few products with genuine big discounts around that time.

In reality setting up a smart home you should be steering clear of WiFi devices where viable alternatives exist such as zigbee and leaving WiFi for WiFi only devices.

Sorry but no way are the govee WiFi bulbs anywhere near hue in terms of performance, responsiveness and ease of use. The govee app is garbage. I have 6 in my eaves and they're garbage compared to the 12 hue interior gu10s.
To not derail the thread down the wrong path, I'm not a Hue hater, I still have just under 30 individual Hue items (bulbs, switch modules, led strips, lamps)..

They aren't perfect though,
- Hub placement and comms routing through devices leads to the same occasional 'lag' that most Zigbee devices can have when not all within range of the main 'hub'..
- Colorimetry differs between products to a larger degree than it should
- They do occasionally glitch and I get the odd bulb in a different state that needs turning off/on again
- They don't have some advanced groupding/syncing options that are available on other platforms.
- They do fail, around 10% of mine have now failed over time, I'm even on my second hub (free as I bought starter packs in the sales)

By contrast, I hated Govee and other brands 3-4 years ago, everything was cheap for a reason and I would not spend my money on them..

However, with a new home office to furnish and iight, I decided (from reviews being positive) to give the newer Govee stuff a go, so GU10's, LED Neon Strips, Hex Pods and desk lights.. I expected a bit of a mess, but for the money and the fact it was just an office, I didn't mind.
I have however had a great experience, the onboarding of products was trivial and no button presses/hub interaction required, all picked up and configured within minutes from the App.
The syncing and responsiveness using the music feature was impressive (even though I don't plan on using that, it just shows how well they coordinate in realtime).
The colour matching was better than expected, and surprisingly, comparing GU10s (my Hue ones are 2 years old), the Govee ones are brighter with a smoother transition..

I also don't like the Govee app, but I only use it for configuration, I use Hue switch units as well as Shelly switch units to trigger each (using HA for the Govee stuff for advanced interactions with existing light switches), but it's got some depth to the configuration not present with Hue and as I've just got their Outdoor lights (90M!) it's all instantly joined in the app and they coordinate in realtime with the effects.

With the way they are working, I'm looking at Hue prices and with over half my house is using Shelly/Wiz/Govee and other brands now, and I'm at the point I've got reliability and responsiveness throughout and think Hue are just exceedingly poor VFM.

In reality setting up a smart home you should be steering clear of WiFi devices where viable alternatives exist such as zigbee and leaving WiFi for WiFi only devices.

I have 4 access points with an SDN controller (Omada), all IoT devices are VLAN'd appropriately and I now have far better direct coverage throughout for WiFi which is proving very reliable with all the modern WiFi IoT devices I have, as long as I fix IPs /for cheaper devices, to an individual Access Point.

I also have a Hue Hub, Smarthings Hub and an USB Sonoff Hub for Zigbee, with Smartthings, Hue and third party Zigbee devices.. I am weaning off Smartthings and pairing them to the Sonoff, so that will disappear shortly, but the biggest issue I get with Zigbee is lag/latency for devices not connected directly to the respective hub, mostly great, generally reliable, but not perfect and I hate turning on multiple lights and they all come on hundreds of milliseconds apart, or worse, one just pauses for 2-3 seconds and eventually turns on.

However, I don't go out my way to get WiFi or Zigbee, or Thread/Matter devices, I think in this day/age you have to mix platforms at some point and so I just try to do the best I can, I don't believe any platform is universally reliable/perfect because my experience has shown flaky crap is available throughout.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with Innr GU10 or IKEA Tradfi GU10?

Same environment as above, going into outdoor lights and controlled through Home Assistant (when I figure it out)

We have been using only Hue bulbs and lights until just this week when we picked up the Govee Floor Lamp 2 which supports Matter. We have this connected to our Apple Home (which we use to control all smart devices) and it works just as well as any of the Hue bulbs and lights.

This was £100, compared to the Philips Hue equivalent that’s £250.

Last edited:
The GU10 smart bulbs I bought a year ago are "Enshine" off amazon. They've been fine. They come on and off everyday on a schedule and do multi colour. I've never had an issue with them. I literally set them up once and they are added to my Alexa household. They are inside IP65 rated up/down wall lights. They are probably about 3 meters away from a wireless extender in our hall which is there mainly to serve the Ring doorbell and these lights.

Back
Top Bottom