• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Oven bake dead card

Soldato
Just curious if anyone actually tried this and what was your results?

Have a HD6950,Not sure what sort of life its had as it came in a system i got in a clearance,It powers up fans spin and everything but no signal comes through to monitor.
Ive had a look at the PCB and cannot see any tell tail signs of heat damage or blown caps etc.

I know this day and age its a 6950 but would make a good backup GPU if i can get it working so thought about baking it,i read you do it for about 8 mins at 195c.

Soldato
Don't do it in your oven it gives of toxic fumes. Will sink out the while house and you'll have to scrub the oven.

I used a cheap halogen portable oven for my 7900 did it in the garden. That's said I don't know if it will fix your card. Baking cards only works on specific cards with a specific fault. Never heard it done for yours. Also it's usually for corrupt graphics not a dead one .

Soldato
OP
Well i decided on the "Heat gun method" rather than putting it in the oven because of what OspreyO said.

1st go - covered whole card pcb with a layer of tin foil except the GPU die and went over that for a couple of mins at 200c,No change still no signal coming from the card.
2nd go - covered card except memory and GPU die gone over all with heat for a couple of mins,appears to have made it worse :D ,fan now spins at 100% soon as you power it up.

Oh well,maybe not enough concentrated heat i dont know but meh,makes a nice ornament on my desk :D

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Did this to the mxm geforce go 7600 card from my laptop back in 2012. It's still working today.

Tried the same process on a quadro 3000m mxm card and had no luck.

Soldato
Depends what’s wrong. If you have a multi meter you can work out roughly what is wrong. What voltages you have, what resistance values you have.

Oven baking rarely ever works, and only works if there is a broken solder joint causing the problem.

Back
Top Bottom