Over 400 million people drink from their toilet everyday

Soldato

Over 400 million Indians are drinking and swimming in their own defecation and urine each day from the river Ganges not to mention all the toxic waste from industry that just dumps their waste straight into the river.

We're expected to look after our environment over here but it feels like what's the point when you have countries who vastly out number our population doing crap like this, it makes our contribution utterly worthless as eventually all that pollution from India and other less environmentally conscious nations will build up and somehow affect us.

It doesn't help when their scientists are spouting crap like increasing the flow of the river will get rid of most pollution and they believe the Ganges can heal itself because "magic" @ around the 5:50 mark, it's utterly shocking.

Probably not a good idea to watch the vid while on your lunch though :)

Soldato
OP
It's more than just cultural expectation stopping me from deciding to swim in my own poop.

When was the last time you went swimming in a river ?

Look at the state of most of the canals in city centres, they're almost as putrid as the ganges

Really we should be doing more, but I feel countries like India are holding us back because anything we do is going to be insignificant compared to whatever a country with over 20x our population does

Soldato
OP
Strangely worded OP - people doing butterfly stroke, dodging turds like the titanic dodged icebergs, and you managed to turn this back to yourself and it being ‘unfair’ :p

I'm not saying it's unfair I believe we should do all we can to take responsibility for cleaning up our own mess, but it's all for nothing when countries like India clearly don't give a ****

And yes, the Ganges is literally their toilet while also one of their sources of drinking water :)

Soldato
OP
What do you think a river outfall does? All the soap suds and road crap that finds it's way (usually through hosing) into the surface water drains - That system is designed to dilute pollutants to 'acceptable' parts-per-million before discharging back into the watercourses.

I always thought it went through treatment plants before being released into the "wild" before it ends up in the sea and ultimately gets evaporated into new fresh "clean" water as rain ?

Soldato
OP
Large parts of india have pretty much none of the water/waste infrastructure we've taken for granted for the last 75+ years, and still have a lot of industries whose regulations are about at the point ours were in the 60's and 70's in terms of how they get rid of waste (and some American businesses look forward to the day when they can go back to those standards as it improves the bottom line..).

We are talking about a nation, that has their own ******* space program and enough money to buy nukes

But apparently they're too poor/inept to build sewers and water treatment ?

I guess they could always send their poop into space as a means of disposal or nuke it to get rid of it

Soldato
OP
look at this ****. Java, Indonesia.

I mean seriously, these people are filth. This is the very definition of worthless humanity. I honestly cant hold back the expletives. Its just disturbing.

Disgusting yes, but it's something people could clean up and keep clean if motivated enough

Russia's Techa river though, gotta wait for those half lives to decay

Soldato
OP
Progress, no matter how small, is progress.

If we have a country of 66million doing our bit to save the environment (even though it's an oxymoron as we'll happily destroy the environment in order for us to have roads & houses & shops & industry) vs a country of over 20 times that polluting, you'll eventually end up with a positive gain of pollution so the progress is essentially meaningless, even if we were to take the whole of Europe, India still has twice the population so for every 1 of us cleaning up, there's 2 of them making a mess

I'm not saying we shouldn't do our part, I'm just playing devils advocate by pointing out the futility of doing it until everyone comes on board

Back
Top Bottom