Over 400 million people drink from their toilet everyday

Soldato

Over 400 million Indians are drinking and swimming in their own defecation and urine each day from the river Ganges not to mention all the toxic waste from industry that just dumps their waste straight into the river.

We're expected to look after our environment over here but it feels like what's the point when you have countries who vastly out number our population doing crap like this, it makes our contribution utterly worthless as eventually all that pollution from India and other less environmentally conscious nations will build up and somehow affect us.

It doesn't help when their scientists are spouting crap like increasing the flow of the river will get rid of most pollution and they believe the Ganges can heal itself because "magic" @ around the 5:50 mark, it's utterly shocking.

Probably not a good idea to watch the vid while on your lunch though :)

Soldato
This started feeling like a "damn, look how crap things are for these unfortunate people", and quickly flipped into "why should I be good when these dirty ******** are living it up, swimming in ****!"

Soldato
OP
It's more than just cultural expectation stopping me from deciding to swim in my own poop.

When was the last time you went swimming in a river ?

Look at the state of most of the canals in city centres, they're almost as putrid as the ganges

Really we should be doing more, but I feel countries like India are holding us back because anything we do is going to be insignificant compared to whatever a country with over 20x our population does

Soldato
We're expected to look after our environment over here but it feels like what's the point when you have countries who vastly out number our population doing crap like this, it makes our contribution utterly worthless as eventually all that pollution from India and other less environmentally conscious nations will build up and somehow affect us

You're conflating pollution with sewage. Raw sewage is dangerous to health if you're in contact with it but ultimately its a natural product that will decompose into harmless substances. Industrial pollution and plastic waste is not and will not.

Caporegime
You're conflating pollution with sewage. Raw sewage is dangerous to health if you're in contact with it but ultimately its a natural product that will decompose into harmless substances. Industrial pollution and plastic waste is not.

Not entirely true. Sewage can significantly alter the biome creating havoc within ecosystems leading to declines of many populations of fish and animals.

Back
Top Bottom