over clock my 260 gfx

Permabanned
hi i got a 260
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-004-OE&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

i got that card about 3 weeks ago now and im wundering about over clocking it

its running at 41C idle

mygfx.jpg

this is my first over clock iv ever done so want help :)

Man of Honour
Make sure the fan is actually on auto - lately they seem to stick on 40% no matter the temperature causing crashes, etc.

You will need to unlink the core/shader clock once the shader gets to ~1500MHz to get any higher on the core... benchmark the overclock against the default clocks aswell as some core/shader ratios seem to result in worse performance rather than better from an overclock.

Associate
I got around this by using RivaTuner to set fan speeds manually as the temp hits certain points...

It was something like... <50°C, Fan @ 30%, increasing by 20% for each 10°C it gets to. That way it hits 100% long before it gets to 100°C... hopefully that will keep it cool enough.

I don't know if its been fixed, but i heard there was a BIOS issue years ago with nVidia cards, where the fan speed would stick at 40% whatever temp the card gets to, regardless of being set to "auto".

Thanks, by making me think of this, you've given me a reason to reinstall RivaTuner on my new build.

Soldato
river tuner is the best way to control your fan speeds, i just set up a profile for general browsing where i have it at 50% cant even hear it and when im gonna start gaming i just create another profile with it running at 75%, you may think that it will run loud but when your playing a game with the sound blasting out your never gonna hear it :)

Permabanned
OP
well thats all nice :) but iv messed with the fan speed to test if it works with evga and it works fine but i waldlike to know about over clocking this gfx
and wunderd what was the best way about it and what programs to use and how safe it was ?

a friend sead it was safe asslong as the temps were low

Back
Top Bottom