Over clocked Ram, CPU and GPU's

Associate
Hey all,

I have been tinkering further with my system, and I have settled at the following overclock figures:

CPU : 4.8GHZ @ 1.31V (6700K)

RAM: 3200MHZ at 15-17-17-35 1T (Corsair dominator platinum 3000MHZ)

GPU: 1493MHZ on both Memory at 8200MHZ (Asus 980TI's Matrix Platinum)

The main changes were to the CPU voltages being lowered and overclocking the memory. I have attached a video of me playing BF1 with the MSI Afterburner results. Just after some feedback really and to see whether anyone can give me some advice to improve these results?

https://youtu.be/I9dxTduhatQ

Soldato
Had a quick watch of your video there :) I can't see any room for improvement other than your top 980ti is running a good 15-16c hotter than the bottom card (this is normal) but you may want to put a bit of extra cooling on the top card if it jumps up much higher.

If you've increased the voltage on your 980ti's try your overclock again without any added voltage. My 980 runs max clock stable without any extra voltage. Just needs a higher power target for the really power hungry stuff like Firestrike extreme.

Associate
OP
Had a quick watch of your video there :) I can't see any room for improvement other than your top 980ti is running a good 15-16c hotter than the bottom card (this is normal) but you may want to put a bit of extra cooling on the top card if it jumps up much higher.

If you've increased the voltage on your 980ti's try your overclock again without any added voltage. My 980 runs max clock stable without any extra voltage. Just needs a higher power target for the really power hungry stuff like Firestrike extreme.

Thanks for the reply mate. I actually already have a fan blowing directly onto the top card. My case is a corsair 780t I have a push pull configuration at the front with my rad. I was running the cards both at a 100% power not over. My voltages are locked by default I cant actually increase unless i start tampering with the PCB. I have attached a picture of my setup below.

n6tesh.jpg

Man of Honour
Not that your temps are bad but one thing that may possibly lower gpu temps is to mount your radiator in the roof as a exhaust. Presumeably with it fitted at the front it's a intake? If so you are blowing warmer than ambient air at your gpu's. Moving the rad to the roof and just fitting a pair of fans as a intake to the front may lower their temps a bit as they will be using cooler air to cool themselves.

Associate
OP
Not that your temps are bad but one thing that may possibly lower gpu temps is to mount your radiator in the roof as a exhaust. Presumeably with it fitted at the front it's a intake? If so you are blowing warmer than ambient air at your gpu's. Moving the rad to the roof and just fitting a pair of fans as a intake to the front may lower their temps a bit as they will be using cooler air to cool themselves.
And then he'll be cooling his CPU with the hot air from 2 GPUs. I'd have thought they'd be generating more heat than the CPU?

When I had the rad on the top my temps were very high, when am streaming my cpu temps would hit 75 easy. Its the heat from the GPU's. They produce stupid amount of it even though my case has ample cooling I still cant get the top card to close the gap with regards to temps to match the bottom card. I originally wanted to watercool my system however you can't get any waterblocks for the 980ti Matrix Platinum which is a shame because they are awesome cards. I can overclock both to 1550MHZ max however temps after gaming session will hit 79 for the top card easy and am not comfortable with that. Also if i did a full custom watercooling I'd run the cpu at 5GHZ. It needs 1.39V to hit 4.9GHZ and 1.45V for 5GHZ. At 1.39V my max temps hover around 69ish and 1.45V 75 under heavy load which I think is too high.

Also would do you think about my ram timings? the normal timings are 15-17-17-35. Also if i run 1.355V through it, will it be safe? Currently it's at 1.35V

Soldato
You will never get the top card as low as the bottom card in any air cooled SLI/Crossfire setup due to the restricted airflow to it, plus it is trying to cool itself with the exhausted hot air from the bottom card.

This, to add to it I've messed around with my old setup and it makes basically no different if you point a fan directly at them. The back plates will be cooler by a mile to touch but internally the chips don't benefit by any real margin.

They should be good at that temp though, until you water cool them that's it.

Back
Top Bottom