over sensitive router?

Soldato
My internet connection is generally very good, however I am having problems playing online games over the last few years.

I have done a lot of digging and believe, for lack of a better technical term, I have an over sensitive router. The router I am using is the Technicolour TG589vn v3. It generally works fine, however I am finding with some online games I am having all sorts of issues. With games on the Steam platform its fine, although this may be because there are some in built settings that freely allow the traffic. However, other online games do not work very well at all.

I have tried various things to solve this, port forwarding, and trying to play around with settings using telnet etc, changing the settings on the router, but with no real sucess - I am sure part of this is that I am out of my depth a little when it comes to the more advanced router settings.

To give an example, trying to play Red Dead Redemption II online, it'll work if I manually reset my router, first time, every time. Then, after a set period of time, it'll kick me out, I can generally restart the game 2 or 3 times until eventually it wont let me connect at all. Then, I'll restart my router and bang, works first attempt.

This is typical of similar issues I have had with games previous (Destiny 2, Warframe) to name a few, where I would get very wierd and intermittent connection issues which I am certain has nothing to do with the game servers. Warframe for example, forwarding a set of ports would work...for a while... it's almost like after a set period of time the router decides that game is trying to hack my PC and blocks it.

I am more than happy to just buy a new router, do you think that would solve the issue, and recommendations for a new router? I have Fibre broadband but its fake Fibre (Fibre to the green box then copper to the house(I forget the tecnical term)).

Or any otrher suggestions?

Edit: Emailed my ISP (Zen) who pretty much said it would be worth trying a new router and just said to look on Amazon etc for a gaming router.

Any recommendations?

Edit 2: looks like it's a modem router I would need, as my existing one I plug the phone line into - VDSL I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH I really wasn’t a fan of the Technicolour 589, even when it wasn’t ancient (Plusnet gave them away with business connections for some reason). Replace it with something nicer and move on. A basic TP Link is budget friendly and will wipe the floor with it in every way, decide how much you want to spend and people will happily suggest an alternative.

Soldato
OP
Whatever really, £100-£150 if necessary for something decent.

Needs to be VDSL (so connects via the phone socket style cable) as I have FTTC fibre connection, to replace as router/modem, needs 4 ethernet ports although looking through most have 4 as a standard.

Soldato
OP
Hah,

spokem to Zen on the phone, as I've been an existing cusotmer for some 12 years, they are going to send me a new one for Free - Firtzbox 7530, they also put me back into a 12 months contract so keeping everything the same and knocked about £10 off a month - not like I was goping to leave any time soon anyway.

Literally love Zen internet.

Back
Top Bottom