• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Over taxed graphics card issue?

Associate
Hey guys

Bought a new Sammy S24B300 1080 monitor about a week ago and I'm having some slowdown / freezing issues both in browsing usage and gaming (but only light stuff - CS:GO).

Wonder if its just that I'm overtaxing my already old and well used spec?

2x 1080 monitors (Samsung 23.6" S24B300 and 2333t)
E8400
DS3R
4gb pc2-6400
8800gts 512
Assortment of hdds

V. tempted to just blow 500 on an i5 rig.. But I'd rather get this one working first.. Would I find a solution in a new graphics card instead?

Man of Honour
I went from a e8400 to i5 and it was awsome, you could buy a decent gpu but you may need a new power supply.

Which psu do you have ?

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £184.99
1 x MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr III OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Cards w/ FARCRY3, Nexuiz & Sleeping Dogs PC Games £149.99
1 x Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £75.98
1 x TeamGroup Elite 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED38GM1600HC11DC01) £29.99
Total : £452.35 (includes shipping : £9.50).

Soldato
ignore the fools above who are saying you need to change your hardware, your spec should be more than capable of web browsing without you needing to get an i5 to browse this forum.
first thing i would check is your os install, usual cause of stuttering like your describing could be either excessive paging to hard disk or a corrupt drive with errors on it, so i would first check the smart status of your drives then check for malware or other apps using your cpu power.
fresh install with latest java update should make sure web browsing is spot on with your pc.

Soldato
ignore the fools above who are saying you need to change your hardware, your spec should be more than capable of web browsing without you needing to get an i5 to browse this forum.
first thing i would check is your os install, usual cause of stuttering like your describing could be either excessive paging to hard disk or a corrupt drive with errors on it, so i would first check the smart status of your drives then check for malware or other apps using your cpu power.
fresh install with latest java update should make sure web browsing is spot on with your pc.
+1

I'd also add checking for malware, extra installed browser toolbars, and other stuff. Do a virus scan, malware scan, check your startups for mysterious programs, etc.

Permabanned
Dont get personal by calling people fools.

Well to be fair May had a good point people were just telling him to get new parts instead of trying to resolve the problem first ;)

Which would just be wasting cash on new hardware just to browse the internet, now that is foolish! (before any one says im name calling i said "foolish")

Man of Honour
Well to be fair May had a good point people were just telling him to get new parts instead of trying to resolve the problem first ;)

Which would just be wasting cash on new hardware just to browse the internet, now that is foolish! (before any one says im name calling i said "foolish")

You would be correct if the op had not stated that he was gaming on a 1080p monitor.

Associate
OP
Now now children, both were reasonable ideas considering the vague info I originally provided.

Both monitors run native res in browsing and games, though as I said the only game I'm really playing at the minute is CS:GO because its AWESOME.

The rig is 5 years old, and as such I'm going to take the boards out and give them to my little sister (before I kill it outright), who is presently struggling along with a truly useless AM2 from 2006.

In the mean time re: my post in /General - I'm going to drop £500 on an i5/z77/7850 rig that by the looks of things will last me another 4 years. Just got my first proper job and after coming back from a 14 hour day in London NOTHING is more frustrating than having to reboot mid gratuitously violent rampage / venting on CS.

So thank you for both ideas, but its time for my trusty 775/gts to retire.

Cheers guys!

Soldato
I went from a e8400 to i5 and it was awsome, you could buy a decent gpu but you may need a new power supply.

Which psu do you have ?

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £184.99
1 x MSI HD 7850 Twin Frozr III OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Cards w/ FARCRY3, Nexuiz & Sleeping Dogs PC Games £149.99
1 x Gigabyte Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £75.98
1 x TeamGroup Elite 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED38GM1600HC11DC01) £29.99
Total : £452.35 (includes shipping : £9.50).

As the op is upgrading anyway, +1, however, we don't know if his PSUs up to it - make and model please OP :)

Also, possibly consider changing the RAM to Samsung Green if you plan to OC

Associate
OP
Yeah, my Dad scolded me for spending £130 on that 3-4 years ago, but its a ****ing brilliant bit of kit. Good ol' Seasonic.

Perfect! :D

E: can you do a Clean windows install on a spare HDD to test if it is a software issue you're currently having?

Also, if CSGO is the most taxing game you play, a 7850 will be overkill :)

I'm pretty well convinced its the combination of the two monitors. I've run a 2333t for the last 14 months without issue, full res on all steam games, no trouble. Before
that I had dual 19s (1440x900 - christ I'm glad to be rid of that!) -- and had movies in one screen and games in the other.. Try to do it this week (not just with movies, it got stuck with slow script loading on web pages on the opposite monitor!) with the addition of a second 1080p monitor and everything's stuttering - and of course steam games (tf2 included, just checked, just rebooted :mad: ) are also playing up. The boot / program HDD is one of the fastest available shy of a Scorpio black - the Sammy 322HJ - and I've just formatted that not two weeks ago..

Re: the 7850 on CS:GO -- agreed. But the reason I've limited my play to CS:GO is because the COD series got painfully flipping repetitive and I thought BF3 would be a frustrating stutterfest on my system. Plus it seems to be
the new top-end budget card which is precisely why I bought the 88gts 512 5 years ago.. I don't have the money to upgrade every time Ati (sorry, 'amd') or NVIDIA decide to battle for a greater market share.

My only slight concern is that my psu is the same age as the e8400 etc.. But its not been a problem so far and I'm not planning on taxing this system particularly - and if anything it'll draw less because
all the components are vastly more power efficient than my 775 (45nm) / gts (65nm) / variety of hard drives (I'll only run two, one when I upgrade to SSD (next pay day!)) so I'm reeeasonably confident in it still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom