Overclocked 3570 for noob

Associate
Evening all

I'm new on here so please go easy, I was just after a bit of general advice really.

I am thinking of buying the following overclcoked 3570 bundle... it will be my first PC and exclusively for gaming...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-001-GI

and putting a factory OCd 7970 card on it to run a 2560x1440 monitor.

I have played the same fps games for years (Medal of Honor and COD 2 & 4) on a Mac, but I want to step it up and so I'm looking forward to having my socks blown off :)

Standing in my shoes, and assuming that I may never get into actually OCing myself, do you think it is worth the extra money for me to buy the overclocked bundle as opposed to the standard 3570 clock speed bundle? Are we talking about 1 or 2 fps in general or will it be a significant and noticeable speed difference? And is it likely to sound like an aircraft taking off all the time?

I'd like to run at native resolution on the 27" monitor but I could probably stand lesser AA levels than you guys are used to it's probably still 10 times better graphics than I am used to seeing?

Apologies for the noob questions, I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and tried to get up to speed as much as poss without actually mithering anyone...

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rick.

Associate
They are easy to overclock yourself, 4.5Ghz and is easily achievable on air without changing many settings.

I would build my own with better ram and nicer looking motherboard and better cooler. The Megahalem's is good but there is better.

The bundle you linked isn't a bad deal at all though. Make's life easier too.

YOUR BASKET
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £184.99
1 x MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £69.98
1 x Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E CPU Cooler (Socket LGA 2011/1366/LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA775/AM2/AM3/FM1) £58.79
1 x Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX8GX3M2A1600C9) £29.99
Total : £355.75 (includes shipping : £10.00).

Nice set of items, ram has better timings and motherboard has nice cooling on it. Heatsink is better and quiet, one of the best, if not THE best.

Last edited:
Associate
I would go with the separate components as mentioned above. Recently acquired a 3570k myself accompanied with a thermalright macho cooler with an easy 4.4 oc (could probably go higher and its my 1st time overclocking) 24c idle, 49c load during a good few hours of heavy gaming.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your help.

Sumer - as it was your first time OCing, how long did it take you to get it up to that speed? And did you use the beginners guide to OCing on these forums or some other guide?

Thanks
Rick.

Associate
Hi. I looked about on the net at different ways people done there oc regarding voltage etc as no chip is the same plus I used the 3d bios that came with the gigabyte mobo which I found much easier to use. I oc'd it to 4.0 on the stock voltage with no problems but when I got to 4.4 the rig crashed so had to reset back to stock clock. I upped the voltage to 1.23 @4.4 ran an intel burn test and prime 95 to check stability and its been running sweet for the past few weeks. There is definitely more I can do to tweak it as I have just done the basic multiplier and voltage change. Still in the process of learning, as long as I don't break anything along the way. So based on my simple oc I just set the multiplier to 44 and increased the voltage and that was it. Im on the same boat as you so any help I get along the way is appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
The only scary moment I had was when I did the 4.4 oc with stock voltage and every time I went into the bios to change the clock speed my mouse and keyboard wouldn't work which meant when my pc booted up and went into windows it crashed and restarted continuing the same process. I had to reset the c_mos by touching 2 pins with a screwdriver and everything was back to stock clock and settings but as mentioned above a 4.5 is easily achievable but im finding 4.4 to be more than enough.

Back
Top Bottom