Overclocked 3570k + Battlefield 4 = stuttering

Associate
I've had my 3570k oc'd to 4.5 since I bought it ages ago and it has never given me any problems. I recently purchased BF4 in the sales and found a constant stuttering in the MP portion of the game. I tried turning off SLI, taking the OC off my GPU and finally formatting my PC but the stutter wouldn't go away (it was fine on SP)

I read that OCs can cause odd issues so I reset my CPU and memory back to default and the stutter has gone away. Has anybody else had a similar experience to this? I don't have problems in any other game.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
I tried that before I formatted my PC. There were quite a few suggested fixes that didn't alleviate the issue. Such as;

Unparking cores
Running game in 32 bit
Disabling origin in-game
Disabling SLI
Few NVCP tweaks

Associate
Bf4 actually make use of all threads/ cores pretty well which can be a significant bit more stress than most other games... As u said in mp not sp. If it's fine at stock clocks then it sounds like cores were down clocking with your oc setup. There are various reasons this could happen. Were you watching all cores with an osd?

Associate
I've had my 3570k oc'd to 4.5 since I bought it ages ago and it has never given me any problems. I recently purchased BF4 in the sales and found a constant stuttering in the MP portion of the game. I tried turning off SLI, taking the OC off my GPU and finally formatting my PC but the stutter wouldn't go away (it was fine on SP)

I read that OCs can cause odd issues so I reset my CPU and memory back to default and the stutter has gone away. Has anybody else had a similar experience to this? I don't have problems in any other game.

Thanks in advance.

You have speedstep and all power saving features disabled right?

Soldato
Check your event viewer in windows and look for WHEA logger errors. I use to get stuttering after an overclock and even though during stress testing, the overclock would be stable, During gaming it would stutter and i would get errors. Upped my voltage abit more and wollah, stable in gaming.

Soldato
recently swapped my 3570k out but I ran a 3570k @ 4.4 with the system in my sig
as above I had the same issues with stutter and had to up my voltage by another +0.05 on the offset and also reduced my CPU PLL to 1.75 down from 1.8 and it was stable after that, the 3570k bottlenecked my 670's though so expect the same with your 970s (still higher fps than single card though!)

try running at 4.4ghz and see what it's like you might be hitting your OC limit silicone lottery and all that

Caporegime
Another thing id suggest is to run a higher resolution under nvidias DSR feature, if say your on 1920x1080, try 2560x1440. The i5 can bottleneck sli cards in bf4 at lower res. Upping the res puts more workload onto the gpu's. And a pair of 970's in sli will handle bf4 with ease. Ideally you need an i7 cpu with sli for this game. Like murah i experienced stuttering with 670's and a 3570k. Moving to an i7 3770k helped a great deal. For me cpu use was always very high with the i5, whilst the gpu's wouldnt run any higher than 80%.

Back
Top Bottom