overclocked my old 4790k cpu but cannot get it to ramp down voltage at idle

Associate
Hi all hoping for help with this my motherboard is an asus Maximus V11 hero with 16gb of trident 2400mhz ram at 1.65v the cpu is a haswell 4790k basically all bios setting are pretty much auto with speedstep turbo mode etc enabled all I have done appart from set memory as it should be is increase cpu ratio to 45 and found a stable overclock at 1.196v input manually, temps etc pretty good but I cannot get cpu vcore to reduce at idle I have windows 10 set to balanced at 5% min 100% max the cpu speed drops ok but not the voltage its stuck on my manual setting. I have tried using offset and adaptive mode but as soon as I run a stress test the vcore shoots up to 1.254v or higher no matter what settings I input ! I have read about this cpu causing issues with motherboards at release and some have suggested a bios update which I am reluctant to do again my version is updated to 3003v which is only 2 revisions away from the latest available.
Sorry for long post but I wanted to try give as much info as possible. Help very much appreciated

Thank you

Man of Honour
I gave up trying to get the voltage to drop when I had the Maximus Hero VI and a 4790k. A updated bios won't make any difference, I just think it's the way the board does things. I found a decent overclock of 4.6Ghz @1.275v vcore but when I changed to adaptive or offset I found that anytime the cpu was put under any load the vcore would shoot up way past what I had set it to, sometimes even higher than 1.4v. In the end I gave up and left it at a fixed voltage because while the voltage dropped at idle those high load voltages were just ridiculous. The cpu dropped to 800mhz at idle still. It makes no difference to power consumption at idle and just means that your idle temps will be a little higher than if the voltage was dropping.

Flashing the bios is pretty much risk free on these boards and should it go wrong it's easily fixed because the board has USB flashback. To flash the bios just use the flashing tool in the bios, Ez-Flash or USB flashback, don't use any windows based flashing tools.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help I think you are correct trying to set anything other than a fixed voltage via adaptive or offset results in a crazy high core voltage when at full stress at one point it was over 1.35v way to high compared to a fixed voltage. I don't think I will bother flashing the bios as it's not a huge problem more an irritation. I have tried just setting bios back to default and using the eazytune in built overclocking feature in bios although not the highest overclock it did let the vcore and cpu speed ramp up and down better with Max voltage around 1.25v undecided if I will do as you did and leave it fixed or settle for what it auto tunes it at.
Cheers

Soldato
fixed vcore will keep it at that at idle.

To fix the high voltage under load you adjust LLC setting.

On asus boards if you use adaptive instead of just offset, then you are only playing with the turbo voltage which makes it even easier.

So use adaptive.

Leave offset at 0
Set the 2nd value (turbo voltage) to tweak the turbo voltage to what you want which may be a positive or negative offset.

Back
Top Bottom