• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclockers 8800GTX or a name brand GTX??

Associate
I've been looking at the prices of these cards and they shock me from being cheap to rip off!!

I can buy a Overclockers GTX card here and its less than £330.. But when I see the other cards here for over £380, it makes me wonder, what the heck the difference really is.

I have been considering a BFG OC 2 GTX card for some time now. I see they are around the £400 mark, which I dont think is bad, considering the performance it would give. But the question that I have in my head is simple.

Would the Overclockers card, this be able to put up a fight to get the speed near enough the same or better for less than the £400?
Also not ever having heard a GTX card running, how loud are they? Currently my X1900 XT from HIS gets rather noisy past 50% fan speed, which is where I leave it for 24/7 operations.... It overclocks easy to the XT X speeds, which I dont have a problem with, but it needs changing as for some of the newer games I have, its starting to struggle...

Or should I forget the above idea and just get one of these?

Can someone please shed some light on whats best, value for money wise?? Oh and how difficult is the fitting of the Thermalright heatsink? I'd also use a 92mm Tornado fan to keep it cool :D Oh, with a fan controller of course ;)

Any advice, would be duly noted and thanked :) Look forward to some replies :)

Is that a bad thing? Would it not overclock at all? I dont think much of the 8800 Ultra's price at £460 odd, I would have guessed the BFG OC 2 could overclock as far and thats only £400...

What would I be best to do?

In terms of hardware they will all be pretty much identical, the only difference might be the cooler, though most use the generic one. The only real difference is the bundle you'll get and warranty.

Jokester

Jokester said:
In terms of hardware they will all be pretty much identical, the only difference might be the cooler, though most use the generic one. The only real difference is the bundle you'll get and warranty.

Jokester

This is why I mentioned the Thermalright heatsink you can buy for the GTX, I was wondering if I had that fitted to the card and tried overclocking it, whether or not it might actually make a difference to overclocking the Overclockers card further..??
Or should I just buy the 8800 Ultra card instead?? I dont really consider that to be a great, value for money card tho.... :( Would I need to upgrade the heatsink/fan on that to keep it cool??

chaparral - Its only money, why worry about it?! :D It dont always make you happy and you cant take it with you :) ;)

Last edited:
1 year Warranty would put me off for a start. I bought the OCZ 8800GTX because the lifetime warranty is transferable, I spoke to OCZ to verify this. :)

So should hold its price more. . . . ;)

Well you got to think why is it that its so cheap and why so little Gainward cards now on here, have OCUK once again decided not to use them as of bad support, and I can tell you they never get back to any mails with answers to any questions after buying their cards.

Bad support I dont do...

So is the Ultra really worth a few extra quid over the GTX or a overclocked GTX?? I see a few versions out there that are similarly overclocked but some of the prices seems to jump all over the place...

What's a guy to do??

OcUK used to sell them, but I bought mine new for around £300 from the USA - they are supposed to be cherry picked for overclocking as well, this is mentioned on quite a few reviews if you do a search.

You can still get hold of them, just a case of using a search engine, unfortunatly I cannot give you anymore infomation than that - forum rules.

Back
Top Bottom