OverClockers Twitchers' Thread

Yes, picture on the link.
I was in the RSPB years ago at school.
It was way too big to be a buzzard so I assumed eagle, never expected it to be a vulture.
I watched it for 30mins or so.

I flew with Griffon Vultures in Spain, those things are huge!

Given vultures tend to be pretty lazy from what I've seen (preferring to thermal than to exert much real effort), I'd have thought our climate would be too much hard work for them to want to spend much time here.

I've got two Robins in the garden now that I feed by hand. One follows me around hopping at my feet singing until fed and the other just perches in front of me and glares until fed :D
Awwww... I was tempted to try taming the Robin that comes into my garden but I really don't like the idea of getting wild birds to trust humans too much.

They've followed us around the garden for years waiting for us to finish digging so hand feeding wasn't too much of a step

(also I don't think many humans will walk around with mealworms just to do a Robin harm )
Fair enough - I just worry about kids and the cats around other humans really.

I think it's almost time to get live mealworms in actually - we must be close to the time where a lot of birds will be laying clutches now?

Both Robin pairs are taking beakfulls so they must have chicks already & our bluetit nestcam is showing a completed nest so eggs must be close :)
I'm still using dried mealworms at the moment but I soak them in warm water for a while so they are nice and juicy - apparently not doing this risks the chicks getting dehydrated. :)

Greenfinch are quite rare now sadly due to a disease.
They are one of my favourite all time birds and haven't seen any in garden for 2 years.

You've got one from this year's hatch there.
There’s a specific type of tree they usually congregate in on one of my woodland walking routes but I haven’t seen them for a couple of years now. Seems their numbers have crashed :(

Back
Top Bottom