Overclocking 1080ti with msi afterburner?

Soldato
Looking for some advice.

Learning to clock my gpu manually and am chasing a 2000mhz core clock but am a bit stuck. I've got a boost of +148 to the core and a +500 on the memory. Any higher at stock voltage and I start getting issues.

Is it worth increasing the voltage to get over 2000mhz? If so by what increments? And what is safe?

Soldato
Pretty sure voltage limit via software is 1.092V which is like a few % over what the card floats around out the box, so maxing that will not be any issues as its fairly conservative. My primary card floats around 1.062v and adding the max will notch it to around 1.73v which is not much. Similarly it does not add much to stability anyways, but yeah in your case I would notch up the voltage anyways will be fine within MSI AB.

What are you boosting too at the moment with the offset? Temps are also pretty important with Pascal (and well all recent cards) to get boost 3.0 working well so a good cooler will aid in this.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, with upping the volt slider I've hit a stable gpu clock of 2088mhz and a memory clock of 6054mhz Furmark stable for 1hr+ with gpu temp never going above 75c

Soldato
Thanks guys, with upping the volt slider I've hit a stable gpu clock of 2088mhz and a memory clock of 6054mhz Furmark stable for 1hr+ with gpu temp never going above 75c
That's mental then - normally temperatures that high will limit clocks heavily. For reference my 1070 maxes out at 53° under water and I notice a step down in clocks above 50. There are temperature curves, and apparently steps at each 10° boundary, in the Precision Boost clock tables.

Also I've found Furmark instantly hits card power limits, artificially limiting the clock speed down a few hundred MHz. My boost tests were all done in Firestrike and Valley. I'd be interested in what your clocks are under those benchmarks.

Soldato
OP
Did notice some strange behaviour in War Thunder last night, such as only getting 35 frames max, which is considerably lower than at stock, and dropping back into menu's for a split second, noticed a message flash in the top left for that split second saying something about display driver.

So I've dialled back a bit and going to retest later.

Soldato
OP
Heaven dropped to desk top after a few minutes so it seems kombuster is wrong. I tried the oc auto scan and got a system hard lock too for some reason.

Soldato
Heaven dropped to desk top after a few minutes so it seems kombuster is wrong. I tried the oc auto scan and got a system hard lock too for some reason.

You need to reset Afterburner after strange behaviour/bad OC, before running OC Scanner again.

As for the rest, need to keep an eye on power usage while testing. Could be not enough power for that voltage. Different benchmarks and games will produce different power usage levels. Heaven uses quite a bit I've noticed and is still a good test for an overclock when it comes to games.

Man of Honour
was just gonna say, oc scanner will get you over 95% of the way. not really worth manual overclocking unless you want to eek out every last bit of performance from the card.

Soldato
OP
So it seems I've hit a bit of a snag using the oc scanner. At exactly 14 minutes and 7 seconds my system hard locks and I need to hit the restart button.

Happened exactly the same point the 3 times I've tried to run it. Which is bizarre as its never been a problem before.

Soldato
OP
@Plec Sorry to bug you pal but wondering if you could help...

I'm having a few weird issues trying to OC this card and as a complete noob I'm wondering if I'm just missing something really obvious.

Okay so as above, first I was getting amazing results using kombuster and Afterburner in tandum, too amazing and on trying Heaven it instantly crashed to desktop.

So I thought I'd try the OC scanner, tried it several times and it keeps hard locking my system at exactly 14 minutes and 7 seconds. Didn't have a problem with it on my old PSU and that's the only thing that's changed.

Manually clocking, this time using heaven benchmark I've noticed some confusing results for me, though they may be normal to someone with experience.

• Core Clock/Mem Clock - +100/+0 = FPS/SCORE/MIN/MAX - 88.8/2237/10.2/191.6
  • Core Clock/Mem Clock - +110/+0 = FPS/SCORE/MIN/MAX - 90.00/2267/38.8/192.1
  • Core Clock/Mem Clock - +120/+0 = FPS/SCORE/MIN/MAX - 90.6/2283/4.7/206.6

Some pretty epic frame rate drops on two of the runs, which I find confusing, this is with the Core Voltage, Power Limit and Temp limit set to maximum.

I couldn't get any higher and pass heaven, so started on the memory and settled at the bellow, I did notice though temps not going above 75c with fans locked at 60%. Also that the voltage was reaching 1075mv.

Core Clock/Mem Clock - +120/+450 = FPS/SCORE/MIN/MAX - 96.5/2430/32.00/205.5

Anyway so the above was stable through two runs of heaven benchmark, I added to the memory in much the same way and was pretty pleased with the results.

Then tried Firestrike and it crashes to desktop on the 3rd test.

Soldato
Third test is the physics test which stresses the CPU. I'd also look at background processes or other CPU-related issues.

FWIW, I found when overclocking my 1070 that memory and core speeds were somewhat codependent. Once I reached a cap with core speed, I could raise memory, allowing an increase in core again, and so on. Maybe it's the same for your card.

Soldato
The Lock function on OC Scanner is neat. Locks the clock to a specific frequency and voltage by pressing L when a square on OC Scanner is highlighted. Might find that useful when determining the best voltage and frequency, and checking power usage. Just press L again to Unlock and allow the clock to downclock as normal again.

Soldato
OP
Right, I must be doing something wrong as I've had to drop to +100 Core Clock and +400 on the memory to stay stable in BFv... have I just got a bad overclocker?

Back
Top Bottom