overclocking 3800 x2 help needed

Permabanned
does the cpu smell burned out at all.

if the cpu is dead you will get no display, the fans will spin and you usually will not get any beeps from the system speaker. Most other dead pieces of hardware would make the system speaker beep giving an indication of where the fault lies.

i guess you have tried clearing the cmos?

1.8v on air is pretty insane tbh...

Wise Guy
Soldato
weescott said:
I would think I was stoopid for whacking loads of volts through the CPU without knowing what I was doing and bash my head off the desk repeatedly! :o

Can you still get into bios?

Yup, pretty much what i would do tbh.

Associate
OP
right update

i didnt bash my head off anything vut what i did do is

did i kill cpu ?
did i kill motherboard?
did i kill gfx card?
did i eventually get the bios to reset and now back on and working fine ?

answers on a postcard will reveal shortly :)

Soldato
1.8?!?!?!? woa,

iv damaged my amd 4400x2 when i took it to 1.65v and now it wont overclock at all.

but 1.8!!! i wouldnt be supprised if it is fryed lol.

i had the same problem tho i couldnt overclock my amd 4400 past 2.9ghz so i tryed upping the volts to 1.65 and then it never overclocked again lol.

ouch

Associate
OP
nope

killed the motherboard?

how do you kill a motherboard with upped volts on the cpu
anyway took it back and they exchanged it.

dunno wether or not to go there again and try see what it will do or just leave it at stock. :(

Permabanned
First time I've heard of putting too many volts through a processor killing a motherboard...no idea what can cause that. Glad you got it sorted.

If you do decide to overclock, don't raise the vcore to more than 1.60v. I wouldn't really like to go above 1.55v on x2 for everyday use on air, mainly because it runs hot but i've heard of opterons dying at 1.6v or maybe even 1.55v, cant remember now but it wasnt much vcore.

Soldato
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

The X2's need to be kept cool - even more so when overclocking.

The most volts you should need is 1.55. I only used 1.75v in a WR attempt - under phase!

Have another go I say! :D

Permabanned
My x2 doesn't even like vcore over 1.6v - if I set it to 1.55v is boots Windows like normal but 1.6v+ and it reboots as soon as Windows loads, at any speed. Does anyone know why this could be? I know the temperature was below 60c.

Soldato
The first thing to do in overclocking is to make sure your temperatures are low. 60c is very high for such an overclocked CPU. Also, some motherboards just won't boot at high speeds, so try overclocking apps in windows as a last result.

Back
Top Bottom