Overclocking AMD FX

Soldato
I've got an AMD FX 6100 currently running stock with a Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 adn 8gb Corsair Dominator RAM & Arctic Freezer 13.

I'd like to push this to the 4ghz mark but I don't know if I need to change the voltage or not, or what else is involved.

The multiplier is unlocked and I've only ever pushed the multiplier to give a clock speed of 3.6 but want to go further.

Can you help :D

Associate
Dependant on the revision of the UD3 that you have the options will be different. The latest revisions have Load Line Calibration (LLC) controls which you should set at High.

Disable AMD C1E support, AMD C6 support, and AMD K8 Cool&QUiet which should be under Advanced BIOS options.
Then go back to MB Intelligent Tweaker. Set CPU Frequency to 200, PCIE Clock to 100 and the CPU Clock Ratio to x20. Also turn off Core Turbo as you want the speed to be constant rather than flutucating dependant upon load. That should give you 4ghz (200x20) which should be easily sustainable at stock voltages

From there you can start pushing as long as the Arctic Freezer13 can handle it so keep an eye on your temperatures using something like OpenHardwareMonitor http://openhardwaremonitor.org/. I try and keep my FX6100 under 60c at full load even with a Kuhler 620 liquid cooler.

Also have a look at the bulldozer overclocking guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/...nce-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming

Enjoy :)

Soldato
OP
Dependant on the revision of the UD3 that you have the options will be different. The latest revisions have Load Line Calibration (LLC) controls which you should set at High.

Disable AMD C1E support, AMD C6 support, and AMD K8 Cool&QUiet which should be under Advanced BIOS options.
Then go back to MB Intelligent Tweaker. Set CPU Frequency to 200, PCIE Clock to 100 and the CPU Clock Ratio to x20. Also turn off Core Turbo as you want the speed to be constant rather than flutucating dependant upon load. That should give you 4ghz (200x20) which should be easily sustainable at stock voltages

From there you can start pushing as long as the Arctic Freezer13 can handle it so keep an eye on your temperatures using something like OpenHardwareMonitor http://openhardwaremonitor.org/. I try and keep my FX6100 under 60c at full load even with a Kuhler 620 liquid cooler.

Also have a look at the bulldozer overclocking guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1140459/...nce-scaling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming

Enjoy :)

WOW! That's pretty comprehensive. Cant go wrong there!!

Soon as my AV Scan has finished, I'll give it a try.

How do you find the 6100??

Associate
Well it helps that we have the same processor and the same board :) I struggled when I first got the combo cause of a lack of information, plus a shoddy board which wouldn't OC (MSI) before the switch to Gigabyte, and everybody preferring to use the eight core CPUs :)

At stock I found the 6100 to be sluggish but after overclocking to 4.5ghz its everything that I need :) I don't game all the time, as the system is mainly a workstation working with Virtual Machines etc but when I do game, I don't have any kind of issue playing things on either high or ultra settings .. not bad considering that I'm not running a standard resolution and still getting perfectly acceptable frame rates to me (i.e. 30fps or above).

I actually run several of them, as do my friends, in different scenarios. I've got one in my desktop (in sig) as well as two of them running on my ESXi cluster. I was seriously debating i5/i7 but stayed with what I know and am glad I didn't pay out the extra.

Soldato
OP
Well it helps that we have the same processor and the same board :) I struggled when I first got the combo cause of a lack of information, plus a shoddy board which wouldn't OC (MSI) before the switch to Gigabyte, and everybody preferring to use the eight core CPUs :)

At stock I found the 6100 to be sluggish but after overclocking to 4.5ghz its everything that I need :) I don't game all the time, as the system is mainly a workstation working with Virtual Machines etc but when I do game, I don't have any kind of issue playing things on either high or ultra settings .. not bad considering that I'm not running a standard resolution and still getting perfectly acceptable frame rates to me (i.e. 30fps or above).

I actually run several of them, as do my friends, in different scenarios. I've got one in my desktop (in sig) as well as two of them running on my ESXi cluster. I was seriously debating i5/i7 but stayed with what I know and am glad I didn't pay out the extra.

Nice to see it's working out for you.

Ok, so just clocked to 4ghz and so far so good! Ran 3DMark06 and my score went up by almost another 1500 points to 16354 ish, and temp hit 49 degrees.

About to run Prime95 for an hour or so and with any luck, results will be just as good. May even push it further.

Associate
Nice to see that it's also working for you to :)

If you've got 4ghz @ stock volts now you can start increasing the CPU Frequency, if you want, to see where you can get to on stock volts. As soon as you start getting BSODs etc then you may need to bump the volts up :) You don't need to go to the extremes of the reviews that punch volts straight up to 1.4/1.5v as that's the quick and dirty way, which is what the guide shows you :)

I got 4.5ghz on a shade over stock but each chip is different, so enjoy :) Also remember to keep an eye on your RAM speeds, if you do go further, as you may push them over what they're capable of, but then you have the option of using memory dividers to keep them in what they're capable of.

Back
Top Bottom