Overclocking an Intel Rig

Associate
OP
OK, PCI-E is locked to 100, I'm assuming there is an internal divider knocking PCI to 33 as no direct setting I can see.

149FSB, with Memory at 1:1, boots and so far is running stable at 100% load.

150FSB flat refused to boot properly if at all, usually have to do a CMOS reset.

It's as if I'm missing a setting somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Associate
OP
WJA96 said:
Set the PSB to 1066, then you can go to 299MHz, otherwise the Intel clock-block kicks in.
YEY thankyou, I KNEW there must be something I was missing as I'd been told the board was 299 capable....

Running at 166fsb now and 39degC at 100% folding load :).

Soldato
BigDom said:
YEY thankyou, I KNEW there must be something I was missing as I'd been told the board was 299 capable....

Running at 166fsb now and 39degC at 100% folding load :).
Ahh, sorry for not telling you that :rolleyes:

I have no idea how accurate that temperature is if you're using the software monitor. If you're using some more accurate method, raise the speed! That chip should be 100% stable much faster than that.

Associate
OP
monkeypants said:
Ahh, sorry for not telling you that :rolleyes:

I have no idea how accurate that temperature is if you're using the software monitor. If you're using some more accurate method, raise the speed! That chip should be 100% stable much faster than that.

hehe one step at a time :)...

That is the Abit nGuru monitoring software temperature so granted might not be 100% accurate ( probably not to be honest ) but I agree it appear's there is more to get out of her... Although I understand RAM might be a limiting factor as not doing 1:1 is a nono?

Oooo 1500 posts *smiles*

Soldato
What kind of RAM are you using? If it's DDR2 then it's usually at least 4200 or 5300 which equates to FSBs of 266 and 333 so there's no way you should run out of RAM headroom with that processor. At a 166 FSB you are running at 50-70% the rated speed of the RAM so why not run 1:1?

A 166 FSB overclock on a 133 FSB processor is a pretty conservative overclock on an Intel system believe it or not.

You're dead on to go slow though as until the thermal paste sets up you won't get the best cooling performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
The motherboard BIOS is good in that it tells you the RAM speed for each divider when you select them. Set the divider as high as you like, but try and keep the RAM speed below 667 (unless you want to find out how fast it'll go.) ;)

Associate
OP
monkeypants said:
The motherboard BIOS is good in that it tells you the RAM speed for each divider when you select them. Set the divider as high as you like, but try and keep the RAM speed below 667 (unless you want to find out how fast it'll go.) ;)

hehe Not to worried about the RAM now :) - up to 180FSB :)...

Stock volts too... Mmm Wonder if I'll manage to get past 200 :).

Associate
OP
m3csl2004 said:
you still using stock cooler? - a clock smith will be plenty hot, maybe get a big t ;)
yep stock cooler, 43degC according to nGuru at 100% load (folding on both cores ).

Fortunatly the case, which is home made and wooden, has very good airflow so plenty of cool air. 2 80mm feeding air in and 120mm extracting with nothing of consquence to impede the flow. The PSU and CD are well above the board ( it's a tower sized case that doubles as my bedside table ) and the HDD is bolted vertically to the front of the case.

Back
Top Bottom