Overclocking fail...now saved yay! Now what?

Associate
I really need some help please...

So I decided to be clever and get a Xeon chip for my X58-UD3R mobo in hope of overclocking to 4GB+..

The problem is I don't have a clue what i'm doing...so I did read some reading, got to be honest didn't understand much of it, but thought I'd give one of these step by step guides a go...

Long story short....I got nowhere, hours of fettling around in the bios produced no stability and no sign of any overclock...

Ah well I thought, I'll just put the old CPU back in...so I did, removed the battery thought everything would be ok...

My Cores are all sitting at 100C and I've no idea why...everything in bios is back to default I've told Corsair link to hit 100% on the fans...I'm cooking it what the hell have i done?

Help me obi-many you're my only hope...

Soldato
Sounds like the cooler isn't seated correctly. That Xeon shouldn't break a sweat keeping that cpu cool at stock. Try sticking the voltage to 1.35v FSB to 133 and qpi to 6400 everything else on auto with 30 multiplier. See how that goes.

Associate
OP
OK so i thought if im reseating the cooler I may as well put the Xeon back in...

Major fail, I now have thermal paste where the chip should sit, not in the centre but on the gold pins around the edge...is there any way to clean this off without causing damage?

I'm thinking my utter klutziness is proving to be an issue. I've had the green light to salvage what I can and give it to my daughter, and get myself a new PC from SWMBO. Should I just admit I'm a complete div and get a new PC or is this a bad time given the mining impact on pricing...

I don't know why i started messing, it was running fine @3.4GHz...

Associate
OP
With the 950 in it kept downclocking to 1.7GHz and voltage on auto was around 0.9 and a x12 multiplier even though in bios it was saying x23 and 3.06..any attempt to change settings caused instability and reboots...I think I cooked something. Even resetting to defaults caused mutliple restarts, and then when it did start heat and volatage warning LED's on the CPU told me something not right...cooling worked first time I started but after a restart it was cooking at 100C again...

I'm not tatting again until i'm certain I can fix this...I'm such a klutz...

Associate
yor CPU @ 12x is just it downclocking while idling .. your dofusness is next to nothing, I tried to fit new Noctua Cooler, 2 motherboards +1 cpu later still not fitted (all dead ) I didnt need to fit it everything worked, just thought it might be quieter

Associate
OP
Ok a specific question at last. CPU is stable @4.2 Overclock but the lowest dram setting is then 1400mhz using the multipliers, I have 3x4gb but it's only showing 8gb useable @ 1600mhz and I the multiple restart detecting dram size error...

How can I get down to 1066mhz to get the ram working without downclocking the cpu?

Associate
OP
Memory is in slots 1,3,5 but the bios status shows enabled slots 2,4 and only 8gb memory?

How do I get it to recognise the correct slots?

I can get it running now, but it's failing the dram on startup, restarting 3 times before it goes to windows...once in windows it's stable, @100% it's only hitting 65c...

Is there anything I can do to sort the memory out?

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately that has always been the issue with that board, Actually same as all of the gigabyte boards in that range. They just have weird things happening with memory. Some say its the CPU not seated correctly others say its a chipset/imc compatibility issue. We ended up changing from Corsair XMS to Kingston HyperX on the systems with that board as it was just flakey.

Associate
OP
By the way, Isopropanol is generally used to clean off thermal paste. You can buy it on ebay.

Thanks I've ordered some...struggling to test the memory properly because I think the ddr3_1 slot that is used for all combos single/dual and triple channel, seems to be the one that's not reading properly...if cleaning the pins doesn't work it's a new Mobo/cpu and ram I think...unless I can pick up another x58 Mobo

Associate
OP
Well thanks for the tips guys, the result is that it's all working fine now.

I cleaned the CPU socket with isopropanol, straightened 3 pins (v tricky), reseated in the Xeon X5670 and bingo, jobs a good un.

Stable @4.2GHz, all 12GB DDR3 ram @1600MHz...what a relief....now to padlock the case shut and leave it tf alone...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Soldato
Well thanks for the tips guys, the result is that it's all working fine now.

I cleaned the CPU socket with isopropanol, straightened 3 pins (v tricky), reseated in the Xeon X5670 and bingo, jobs a good un.

Stable @4.2GHz, all 12GB DDR3 ram @1600MHz...what a relief....now to padlock the case shut and leave it tf alone...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

You know you need to open the case and tweak something a little and then maybe an upgrade :D

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Well done with straightening the pins, not an easy job. X58 RAM detection issues are nearly always to do with socket/pin issues.

Associate
OP
Well done with straightening the pins, not an easy job. X58 RAM detection issues are nearly always to do with socket/pin issues.

My eyesight was borderline, I was using a camera to take pics then zooming in to see what was wrong...slow and steady, little tweak here little tweak there...extra tricky as two of the twisted pins had crossed one over the other. When I saw that I nearly gave up tbh. I've just run 3dmark and it's scored ~5200 which is about 750-1000 shy of a 4K gaming pc but almost 2000 higher than vr min specs...I'm pretty chuffed with myself, I was all ready to drop a couple of grand on a new pc, then put £150 into a new Mobo and give this machine to the kids.

Associate
OP
So the only planned upgrade (yeah i know that didn't last long) I'll consider is from my 980Ti to a 1080Ti for more VR eye candy.

Anybody know if the X5670 will have any issues running with a single 1080Ti?

Back
Top Bottom