Overclocking help

Associate
I just changed my mobo to an Asus P4V800D-X and its running a 3Ghz P4 478S. In the bios there are options to auto overclock 5%, 10%, 20% and 30%

Set to 5% the system is stable but when set to 10% it boots up to the message/post screen but wont boot windows, Any Ideas? could it be my ram i have 256mb Kingston and 512mb crucial running on each channel to give a system total 1.5GB.

Also the manual that came with the mobo is crap it doesnt explain the bios features very well i hope someone can shed some light on what i should be looking to change.

Associate
you need to set a divider on your ram. it also looks as if it isnt reporting your memory correctly as you only stated you had 768mb ram. do not use the auto overclock feature to be honest. do it all manually. i have this same board and i was suffering from windows not booting up. i think this may be the problem. thanks dude lol.

Associate
ecclesk said:
In the bios there are options to auto overclock 5%, 10%, 20% and 30%

Sounds like your using AIBooster, which is a was te of time for proper overclocking. Set your Jumperfree option to 'Manual' ,which will allow you overclock properly.

If this is your first time, have a read through all the helper threads on here in order tog et you started on OC'ing your system.

Associate
OP
Oh yes, now running the 3Ghz P4 at 3.75Ghz and it seems to be quake 4 stable but it finds errors on Prime 95. load temp 65c

the ram is ddr400 pc3200

any ideas what to do?

i have already locked AGP/PCI to 66.6/33.3, disabled spread spectrum, the RAM timmings are still on auto but have set the RAM frequency to 266Mhz instead of 400Mhz.

I have benchmarked after every change and i have noticed a little drop in the ram benchmark but its allowed me to clock the P4 to 3.75Ghz

this is my first overclock so i'm still not realy sure what i'm doing, i have read through every intel overclocking guide i could find, but i could still do with some advice from someone with the same or similar mobo :D

GAMEfreak any more advice on this mobo? what cpu & RAM do you have & what sort results did you get?

Associate
so u have 4 memory slots?

2 with 2x256
2 with 2x512?

this will slow your performance down, if you just used the 2x512 on dual channel on a 2/1 or 2/1.33 divider and loosen timings you should stabilise. You might need to run +0.1v through the memory too.

These are the ways I managed to stabilise my system (albeit AMD cpu)

Back
Top Bottom