Overclocking i7 4790K

Associate
It's 400mhz actually. The max turbo of the 4790k is using all four cores is 4.2Ghz, 4.4Ghz is with a single core. Some motherboards have ways around this but that is outside the Intel spec. It is crap for overclocking though. in fact it's the worst overclocking cpu I have had since AMD's Athlon 64 days. I was hoping for significantly more as I have seen much higher clocks from the same batch as mine but mine seems to need a massive jump in voltage for anything higher and it's just not worth it.

I've never seen that, but then again I don't use auto settings so maybe somethings overriding it.

Associate
4.6Ghz here with 1.255 as well. Ive had mine running at 4.8Ghz it required more vcore but not a lot. think ive got a good chip but I run it at 4.6Ghz 24/7. Im thinking on deliding it once ive done that it will run at 4.8Ghz 24/7

Associate
I guess I got lucky with my 4790k by the sound of things. Mine runs at 4.8ghz at 1.25v and hits low 60s under water still lidded :)
yea my chip required 1.27 for 4.8 temps went to mid 70's but its under air.
I think If I delid it I should get lower vcore and lower temps but the chip still has warranty for another 2 years so this is putting me off.
My old 4770k required 1.32 for 4.7 so this chip is a lot better for me. it cost me around £20 to upgrade so I cant argue.

Soldato
Hey, I would make my own thread, but with an identical one running here I figured I would hijack this one instead.

Are there any good guides for overclocking one of these? I've just been messing around in the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility because I'm lazy and it seemed like a good place to start. I'm stable according to the benchmark in there at 4.7Ghz and 1.225v core and a 41x processor cache ratio. However, It's really not liking the jump up to 4.8Ghz. Even with the voltage up to 1.310v it isn't stable. Temperatures seem to be fine, they were hitting 75C on that 4.8Ghz attempt before I got the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bluescreen.
Is there anything in the BIOS I could be fine tuning to help get me to/beyond 4.8Ghz? And what's a safe voltage for this? I've seen people saying 1.3-1.35v so don't want to put too much more into mine, especially when it can run at a much lower voltage for 100Mhz less.

Back
Top Bottom