• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclocking Mad First Time

Abz

Abz

Associate
Hi All,

I just bought E4300 and gonna try to over clock it on Abit IN9 32X MAX 680i.

I was wondering do i need a new fan or stock fan can do the job ok. and will I damage my CPU life if i over clock.

I wanted to buy the E6600 but since am not gonna be gaming a lot and am just gonna use it for photo and video editing, I'll buy the E4300 as its cheap and once the Quad Core gets proper cheap will buy that.

What you think. Feedback is welcome.

Abz

Soldato
The stock cooler should be ok for up to about 2.7-2.8ghz, but i would recommend getting an aftermarket cooler if you want to go further. Overclocking will probably reduce the cpu's life if it over-heats too much though.

Abz

Abz

Associate
OP
I just changed to the E6600 from the E4300, coz it has 4MB cache and 1066 FSB.

Dunno if its the right decision.

dun

dun

Soldato
Keep an eye on temps mate, theres no rule that you need a new hsf to overclock. As for damaging it then yes you will shorten the life of your cpu undoubtably but say from 20-10 years life span who cares?

Abz

Abz

Associate
OP
cool with all the good feed back from you good people

I have asked the people to change my order to the E4300. What I will do is I will overclock to about 2.5 or 2.7 and see how it goes. Now need to do some research on how to do it :p

Caporegime
Increased voltage is a far bigger killer than a high temperature.

Just take it as far as you can on default voltage imo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah that's it so take it as far as you can on 1.325v.

If you're lucky you'll get a massive overclock merely on default voltage, but the thing is once you start needing more voltage it could be a case of needing another 0.1v just to get another 50-100Mhz, not worth it at all really.

Abz

Abz

Associate
OP
cool will try to OC at that speed, am trying to get to 3Ghz tbh,

Will try that once my cooler gets in.

how far shall I go in term of voltage?

I heard max for E4300 is 1.6V is that true?

Soldato
If it is your first time i wouldnot up the volts at first see how it oc's without it and see,some people let it bed in a few days before really pushing it.

Permabanned
If i was you i wouldnt up the voltage that much on the stock cooler especially if your new to overclocking. My E4300 takes 1.5v to get 3.2ghz and it's temp is 63c and thats with a tuniq tower (also has a Noctua 120mm fan).

Last edited:

Abz

Abz

Associate
OP
Thanx guys,

yesterday I tried to OC to 2.7 with about 1.4v, however after many playing around and stuff, I found that the cpu keeps crashing after 2.4Ghz, not sure what that is. Would that mean this is its limits.

I have bought a proper fan Asus Silent Knight to see if there is any difference.

Abz

Abz

Associate
OP
no I have set the Bios as unlinked with mem.

As mem run at 800 and when I OC the CPU sometimes it passes the 800 limit, am not looking to damage the ram or even OC.

IS that the correct approach?

Soldato
Well if you keep the ram linked to the fsb, then to get to 3GHz that would mean 333fsbx9 = 3GHz, so the ram will be clocked at 667mhz (PC5300/5400 speed, double the fsb because it is DDR2). It will mean that your ram is underclocked however.

You could try lowering the multiplier of the E4300 to something like 8x instead of 9x. It will not clock as high as the E4300 can do, but it means that your ram will be faster. e.g:

3GHz = 375fsb x 8

So your ram will run at 750mhz.

Abz

Abz

Associate
OP
Thanx for this info ;)

My ram although is 800Mhz, when looking at CPU-Z it shows it as 667 Mhz,

What I had to do is set the timing and FSB manually.

But I will try your method when I get my new cooler. Do i put it to 1.5V or less.

Edit: Will it matter for ram running at 667 or 800?

Soldato
I would keep the voltage of the cpu at stock for the mean time.

It wont really matter at this point if your ram is 667mhz even though it really is 800mhz, because you will be changing the speed of it anyway when you start overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom