overclocking memory (noob question, please be gentle)

Associate
I have 32gbs ram (i know its pointless) on my 3700x Aorus x570 master.
it is Corsair CMK32GX4m2D3200c16
Now does that mean I am limited to 3200mhz or can I overclock it so it runs faster? is it worth doing if so?

I have been building compters for a while but know bugger all about memory timings or speeds etc, I just buy an amount and stick it in.

Soldato
..do the Gigabyte X570 boards come with their Easy Tune software, like my Z390 board did?

If so, for memory overclocking, I'd really recommend using that as it will do everything automatically, memory overclocking is a much trickier art than CPU overclocking because all the various sub timings of the memory can play havoc with stability, your memory could very easily reach at least 3600Mhz, I'd be amazed if it didn't, but manually entering incorrect timings means it will not be stable added to the fact that failed memory overclocks can leave you with a PC that won't boot back into windows, requiring a manual CMOS clear and starting all over again.

..and 32GB maybe pointless now but if like me you keep your PC for a good few years, eventually it will become necessary, and with such volatile pricing it makes sense to buy more of it it when its (relatively) cheap as it is today, which is I bought 32GB as well.

Associate
OP
..do the Gigabyte X570 boards come with their Easy Tune software, like my Z390 board did?

If so, for memory overclocking, I'd really recommend using that as it will do everything automatically, memory overclocking is a much trickier art than CPU overclocking because all the various sub timings of the memory can play havoc with stability, your memory could very easily reach at least 3600Mhz, I'd be amazed if it didn't, but manually entering incorrect timings means it will not be stable added to the fact that failed memory overclocks can leave you with a PC that won't boot back into windows, requiring a manual CMOS clear and starting all over again.

..and 32GB maybe pointless now but if like me you keep your PC for a good few years, eventually it will become necessary, and with such volatile pricing it makes sense to buy more of it it when its (relatively) cheap as it is today, which is I bought 32GB as well.
Thats why I upgraded, my last kit I had for years. Im not sure if it has overclocking software tbh, as I dont normally use it. I will have a look. I assume it will.

Back
Top Bottom