Overclocking naivety?

Associate
Hey, back in 2013 I bought the Quasar 270i bundle

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/quas...ocked-haswell-gaming-pc-bundle-bu-165-oe.html

A couple of years ago I wanted to increase the amount of RAM as I use this PC for game development. So I doubled up on the RAM (same stuff) that came in the original bundle, I knew that the overclock that Overclockers had done to my PC would very likely be broken by the RAM upgrade so I changed to the "no overclock" profile in the BIOS. This set it running at 3.5GHz, at which I was content for quite a while.

So today I decided to try switching the overclocked profile back on, I then ran the OCCT standard test, I had a BSOD within about 3 minutes. I've just gone into the BIOS and lowered the clock speed (CPU multiplier I believe (can't check as test is running)) down to 4.3GHz and begun running the test again.

So the question is, am I being incredibly naive in my attempt?

Associate
OP
After 27 minutes one of the cores reached 86 degrees and the test was aborted.

Is there a simple way I can salvage the old overclock with the new RAM quantity? I'm not aiming for crazy levels, just something more than the base levels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
OP
Sorry I forgot to check back here for replies after a couple days.

@stuie It's the Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom cooler.

@Gripen90 I'll check that out, I'd taken the additional RAM out after I failed at overclocking it myself a few times, wasn't sure if I'd damage it. The old profile works still with the original amount of RAM again.

@Threepwood Pretty clean, I clean it at least once a year with compressed air.

Back
Top Bottom