Overclocking Q6600, P5q pro

Associate
Hi im trying to overclock my q6600 with the p5q pro mobo and kingston pc8500 4gb ram and freezer pro 7 fan

Ive got it to 3ghz but when running prime95 my temps can go up to 62deg

So im guessing i need to lower my temps, and this is caused by my voltage?
ive left everything on auto apart from my fsb and disabled speedstep.

Ive never oc'ed before properly so i would like some good advice, i hear things about ram timings etc i dont know where to start

so if any of you have a simular setup and can advise me please do

thanks

Associate
I just got a Q6600 which I've oc'ed it to 3.6 thanks to all the advice youcan find on this forum. To get to 3.6 I've had to put the vcore up to 1.4 and whilst running Prime my temps (using Core Temp) go up to 60-63. From what I've read that is within the acceptable range, 70+ is where it you should worry. However, mine is at 3.6, so maybe not a like for like comparison. The Freezer Pro is a great cooler, but I did read (again) that it can struggle to cope with a quad. I bought a Noctua NH-U12P along with the Q6600, you might want to consider upgrading as well?

To sum up, your temperatures are fine, but to go further you'll probably have to take the voltages up and get a better cooler to cope withthe increased temperatures.

Someone more knowledgeable please correct me if if I'm wrong.

Caporegime
Take the cpu vcore of auto, find out your cpu's vid (displayed in coretemp) enter that manually under cpu voltage in bios and do a quick prime95 small fft test to check for stability.

Caporegime
it says my voltage is 1.368, is that because i have it on auto? can i lower that and will it lower my temps?
When voltages are left at auto they tend to supply a bit more juice than whats really required, coretemp will be able to tell you the vid of your cpu. vid is basically stock voltage that the chip requires to run at is default speed of 2.4ghz, although the vast majority of chips will run a bit higher on this stock voltage. and it may help lower temps a bit to.

Associate
OP
i changed my voltage to 1.275 and now its seems stable at 53 deg, can i push it any further than 3ghz with that voltage or am i likely to pump up the voltage aswell?

the other thing people were saying about overclocking is doing the ram. does this have any affect? and how do i do it

Caporegime
i changed my voltage to 1.275 and now its seems stable at 53 deg, can i push it any further than 3ghz with that voltage or am i likely to pump up the voltage aswell?

the other thing people were saying about overclocking is doing the ram. does this have any affect? and how do i do it
Assuming that 1.2750 is your vid (which is pretty good, same here) you could try another small jump, say 5-10mhz increments at a time, keep doing this until it fails to boot or you get an error when running prime, concerning your ram its always better to run the ram slower than its rated speed when oc'ing the cpu, select the FSB-NB STRAP, set it to 333mhz, then under dram frequency, select the closest speed below what your ram is rated to run at, also make sure the ram voltage is set to the manufacturers reccomended.

Back
Top Bottom