Overclocking QX9770 for first time

Associate
OP
If you want to heat up your room that's good, if warmed up room isn't desirable then not.
I had Q9550 running at 3.7GHz +change while undervolted to 1.2V.
So there should be spot with lot less heat output but without much any real world difference in performance.

It's core temperatures which matter.
And IIRC that temperature is already pushing it with max core temp being like 75C.
Which is quite likely for Tcase of 55C.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...r-qx9770-12m-cache-3-20-ghz-1600-mhz-fsb.html

First thing I noticed was the TDP difference between my Q9550 and QX9770 66 and 133 respectively from memory. Guessing this will lead to better cooling being needed.

IIRC? - sorry for my simple mind.

What in theory should I aim for temp wise idle and under stress the more I read the more numbers seem to be thrown into the equation coupled with different software giving a variation in numbers :(
The forum has guidelines, but Im sure very much dependent on setup hardware wise.

Soldato
First thing I noticed was the TDP difference between my Q9550 and QX9770 66 and 133 respectively from memory. Guessing this will lead to better cooling being needed.

IIRC? - sorry for my simple mind.
Q9550 and QX9770 are exactly same physical CPU known by code name Yorkfield...
Or more precisely two "Penryn" dual core chips/dies glued onto same package substrate. (what Intel did far before AMD)
With that undervolted overclocking monitoring programs actually gave below 95W TDP (which was honest at that time) power consumption reading for CPU under full load stress testing.
Which isn't suprise with now sadly defunct and gone Xbitlabs measuring little over 30W power consumption for those dual cores at around 3GHz.

So there's no reason to have some 150W level power draw.
Unless just wanting to warm up the room, or having bad piece of silicon.

It's that high voltage/overvolting which blows out power consumption.
At same clock speed that 1.38V would give 1/3 higher power draw/heat output than 1.2V, because power draw increases to square of voltage:
Current draw rises in direct relation to voltage and power is voltage multiplied by current.
So "just" 20% overvolting would increase power draw already by 44%, even without touching clock speed.

And that's likely way too optimistic:
Because we're talking about semiconductors, which have non-linear behavior, increase in voltage likely lowers resistance resisting leakage currents.
So instead of leakage current increasing same say 10% as voltage, leakage current might rise by 15%.
And higher temperature from more heat produced increases power draw further through further increase in leakage currents and slower state transitions of transistors.
(explained here)

So if you want to keep power consumption/heat output sensible, don't overvolt much.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/acronyms/iirc/

Man of Honour
So if you want to keep power consumption/heat output sensible, don't overvolt much.

Used to really bite me in the rear overclocking a Q6600 on an nForce board as those boards required a lot more voltage to get a CPU stable at the same frequency as a P45 board but then they'd also struggle with stable current delivery/power requirements so you generally had to do some hardware modification of the board to get those CPUs stable at higher overclocks and the wattage would go up loads.

Associate
OP
Used to really bite me in the rear overclocking a Q6600 on an nForce board as those boards required a lot more voltage to get a CPU stable at the same frequency as a P45 board but then they'd also struggle with stable current delivery/power requirements so you generally had to do some hardware modification of the board to get those CPUs stable at higher overclocks and the wattage would go up loads.

Thanks

I have reduced back to 3.6ghz with little alteration needed. Seems the easy option although I did make it stable @ 4ghz but air cooling was a push even with the modern Noctua setup. Nay mind one day I may splash out for a more economic alternative, which requires less voltage.

Back
Top Bottom