Overclocking RAM

Associate
Hi all,

I need help over locking my RAM. I’ve tried several times but no luck. I’ve managed to enter the timings but it’s showing running at 2133mhz.

I’m using a B450 tomahawk Max mobo with Ryzen 5 3600 cpu. The RAM is Corsair vengeance RBG pro.

I’ve used typhoon and DRAM calc to get the the timings but can’t get it to work.

Any help is appreciated

Man of Honour
Hi all,

I need help over locking my RAM. I’ve tried several times but no luck. I’ve managed to enter the timings but it’s showing running at 2133mhz.

I’m using a B450 tomahawk Max mobo with Ryzen 5 3600 cpu. The RAM is Corsair vengeance RBG pro.

I’ve used typhoon and DRAM calc to get the the timings but can’t get it to work.

Any help is appreciated
What speed ram is it?

Also to run at the rated speed on the box you just need to set the XMP (or D.O.C.P) and it'll set itself :)

Soldato
What ram do you have?

The first thing you need to do is find what max FCLK you can run on your cpu. Because your FCLK determines what max speed you can run the ram at.

I'm not sure what FCLK's are achievable on the 3600 series.

Start with putting the FCLK to 1800MHz and leaving everything else on defaults including leaving your ram at it's base speed.

Boot in to windows and see if everything is OK. For me it's quite easy to know if something is wrong because if I adjust the volume on windows I get a garbled sound.

If all seems well, load up a game and play for about 20 mins or so.

No issues?

Then increase the FCLK to the next value up and repeat the above.

If you get any issues, garbled audio, pc resets, game crashes etc... then the FCLK is too fast.

Lower it a notch and repeat the above until you find the max speed the PC is happy at the highest FCLK the CPU can manage.

Lets assume now that your FCLK tops out at 1800MHz. Your ram speed is 2 x FCLK.

So you would run your ram at 3600MHz. Assuming now that your ram can even run at this speed!

This video will help you once you know what ram speed to run at. (He suggests fast timings, but if you have any problems go with the safe timings.)

In essence. Set your primary and secondary timings and set the dram voltage in the BIOS. Everything else should be handled by your motherboard.

The fast timings didn't work for me from the dram calc, but the safe timings do.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Might have misread a little? Do you need to just run at the rated speed or do you want to go beyond that?

The default ram speed is 3200mhz but want to go beyond this.

What ram do you have?

The first thing you need to do is find what max FCLK you can run on your cpu. Because your FCLK determines what max speed you can run the ram at.

I'm not sure what FCLK's are achievable on the 3600 series.

Start with putting the FCLK to 1800MHz and leaving everything else on defaults including leaving your ram at it's base speed.

Boot in to windows and see if everything is OK. For me it's quite easy to know if something is wrong because if I adjust the volume on windows I get a garbled sound.

If all seems well, load up a game and play for about 20 mins or so.

No issues?

Then increase the FCLK to the next value up and repeat the above.

If you get any issues, garbled audio, pc resets, game crashes etc... then the FCLK is too fast.

Lower it a notch and repeat the above until you find the max speed the PC is happy at the highest FCLK the CPU can manage.

Lets assume now that your FCLK tops out at 1800MHz. Your ram speed is 2 x FCLK.

So you would run your ram at 3600MHz. Assuming now that your ram can even run at this speed!

This video will help you once you know what ram speed to run at. (He suggests fast timings, but if you have any problems go with the safe timings.)

In essence. Set your primary and secondary timings and set the dram voltage in the BIOS. Everything else should be handled by your motherboard.

The fast timings didn't work for me from the dram calc, but the safe timings do.

This is the video I followed and keep getting the same results. He suggests setting the FCLK to half of my rams speed so I set it to 1600mhz

Soldato
The default ram speed is 3200mhz but want to go beyond this.

This is the video I followed and keep getting the same results. He suggests setting the FCLK to half of my rams speed so I set it to 1600mhz

What ram speed are you trying to achieve?

Do you know what your max FCLK is?

What ram do you have?

There will be two variables which will stop you achieving what you want.

1. Can you run your FCLK fast enough.
2. Can the ram run at that speed.

You need two yeses to achieve what your looking for.

Associate
OP
What ram speed are you trying to achieve?

Do you know what your max FCLK is?

What ram do you have?

There will be two variables which will stop you achieving what you want.

1. Can you run your FCLK fast enough.
2. Can the ram run at that speed.

You need two yeses to achieve what your looking for.

I don’t know the max FCLK, that is my next task. I have Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz. Looking to achieve around 3600mhz

Associate
OP
So I set the FCLK to 1800mhz and changed DRAM voltage to 1.40 and booted fine. The speeds in task manager was still showing 2133mhz.

I went back into BIOS and the system had automatically set the speed to 2133mhz. I changed it to DDR4 3200mhz and the system won’t boot.

Back to the drawing board

Associate
So I set the FCLK to 1800mhz and changed DRAM voltage to 1.40 and booted fine. The speeds in task manager was still showing 2133mhz.

I went back into BIOS and the system had automatically set the speed to 2133mhz. I changed it to DDR4 3200mhz and the system won’t boot.

Back to the drawing board
I have the same chips but 3600MHz set. I've found I can get my timings down to CL16 with a 1.5v overvolt. I can't get any higher frequency overall though as when I do the northbridge throttles to like 950MHz for whatever reason. Running a Gigabyte Aorus Elite

Associate
@qwertyk1d yeah XMP is enabled so I’m getting 3200mhz now
Ah good to hear. You can probably try and push the timings a bit more using the Ryzen DRAM Calculator. I've found the 'Fast' option on my ram is a tiny bit unstable so have just used the main top timings and seems to be fine. Give that a try. I've found I'm not able to push the frequency higher at all but you could try push to 3600MHz and see what it does with conservative timings. Use the calculator

Associate
OP
Ah good to hear. You can probably try and push the timings a bit more using the Ryzen DRAM Calculator. I've found the 'Fast' option on my ram is a tiny bit unstable so have just used the main top timings and seems to be fine. Give that a try. I've found I'm not able to push the frequency higher at all but you could try push to 3600MHz and see what it does with conservative timings. Use the calculator

This is what I tried but got no boot up. Do I keep XMP enabled? Just to make this dumbed down so I understand. I enter the timings and amend the voltage. When I boot back up I check the performance in task manager and it shows 2133mhz as the bios is auto setting.

can’t get my head around it. Do I amend the FCLK to 1800mhz to achieve 3600mhz?

Associate
I leave XMP on when doing this myself but you could try both (on and off)
  • Run DRAM Calculator and set it to 3600MHz and then get it to output Safe timings
  • Up your voltage to 1.35v or whatever DRAM says to
  • FCLK to 1800MHz
  • Increase frequency to 3600MHz
  • Enter the main 4 timings given to you in DRAM Calc (ignore the others as I think this complicates things - if it fails after this try all values given in the calc).
  • Save the profile so you can reuse it if it resets BIOS on failed boot restart
Give that a crack

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I leave XMP on when doing this myself but you could try both (on and off)
  • Run DRAM Calculator and set it to 3600MHz and then get it to output Safe timings
  • Up your voltage to 1.35v or whatever DRAM says to
  • FCLK to 1800MHz
  • Increase frequency to 3600MHz
  • Enter the main 4 timings given to you in DRAM Calc (ignore the others as I think this complicates things - if it fails after this try all values given in the calc).
  • Save the profile so you can reuse it if it resets BIOS on failed boot restart
Give that a crack

I did everything you said. What are the main 4 timings? I did all of this but BIOS threw up an message saying the OC failed.

Associate
CL, TRCD, TRP, and TRAS. Very weird. You just may not be able to fluff with the frequencies on these chips very much. You could try between 3200 and 3600 and run it through DRAM Calculator to get the timings for that speed and try that?

Associate
OP
CL, TRCD, TRP, and TRAS. Very weird. You just may not be able to fluff with the frequencies on these chips very much. You could try between 3200 and 3600 and run it through DRAM Calculator to get the timings for that speed and try that?

Is CL - tCL?

I don't see tRCD, see other variations i.e tRCDRD

Just want to make sure I do it write.

Appreciate your help with this.

Back
Top Bottom