Overclocking recommendations

Associate
hi could i get any recommendations at what to overclock my pc to.

i have
Antec 900 Case
Asus p5q pro turbo mother board
GTX 260 graphics card
4 gb ram ddr 2
Artic pro freezer 7 heat sink
TX650w power supply
Intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40ghz

I play Counterstrike-source and want to increase my FPS as it was as low as 60-140 what shld i overclock it to see a significant improvement?

Associate
You are aware that after about 30 FPS the eye cant see any better. Also given your monitor will most likely be 60 Hz you wont see any improvement at all above 60 FPS.

60 FPS is not low, even 25 or so is playable after all.

Associate
You are aware that after about 30 FPS the eye cant see any better. Also given your monitor will most likely be 60 Hz you wont see any improvement at all above 60 FPS.

60 FPS is not low, even 25 or so is playable after all.

I can tell the difference between 100FPS and 30FPS and there is a BIG difference..

Associate
I believe I had my numbers wrong, but if you have a 60Hz monitor there will be no improvement in visible frame rate above 60 FPS as the screen cannot update any faster than that. In short it is limited to 60 FPS.

Associate
hi could i get any recommendations at what to overclock my pc to.

i have
Antec 900 Case
Asus p5q pro turbo mother board
GTX 260 graphics card
4 gb ram ddr 2
Artic pro freezer 7 heat sink
TX650w power supply

I play Counterstrike-source and want to increase my FPS as it was as low as 60-140 what shld i overclock it to see a significant improvement?

Overclock the Q6600 to at least 3ghz, but you should be able to get between 3.2-3.6ghz with the right settings.

Associate
I was once told this by a friend too but 60 fps is very bad for competative online gaming, FPS for example. It would be hard to get a kill with 60 fps, 200-300 fps is where its at seems more realtime to get a perfect shot. 30fps I would die like a noob everytime.

Soldato
I was once told this by a friend too but 60 fps is very bad for competative online gaming, FPS for example. It would be hard to get a kill with 60 fps, 200-300 fps is where its at seems more realtime to get a perfect shot. 30fps I would die like a noob everytime.

FPS make no difference to online gaming, what really makes a difference then is ping to the server.

That being said, ofcourse the smoother u can have a game running the better, but its not the be all and end all for online.

Associate
I can tell the difference between 100FPS and 30FPS and there is a BIG difference..

Your eye won't pick up anything more than a constant 30FPS, trouble is if you get an average of 30FPS, realtime lows could be 20 or lower which will make a difference.

Due to the physics of some games, there can be some 'magic' frame rates. I remember quake capped at 125fps meant you could jump higher and reach certain areas but no difference in terms of ability to shoot the opposition

As Bifday2k said, ping is the real issue, if someone has a steady 20ms and you're drifting from 30-60ms, they'll have a big advantage.

Don't forget, some people spend hours and hours playing these games and have an unbelievable ability to beat you :confused:. It's easy to blame it on your hardware.

Soldato
Faster FPS means that when the screen refreshes you see a more up to date image of what is going on. The time difference is minute and, whilst it doesn't matter to the average gamer, it makes a difference in competitive play.

Soldato
why do poeple still go about this 30fps rubbish really guys you belive you cant tell the diff 30 and 60 fps sure as crap i can everytime! there is a nivida demo floating about where half the screen is 30 fps and the other is 60fps

The Human Eye can perceive much past the mis conception of 30 FPS and well past 60 FPS fact read up on it please :D

Associate
Heh, I didn't mean 30 AND NO MORE! It was more a rough level as to what is *acceptable* for games and so forth. For example cinemas show movies at 24 FPS yet people don't comment on how it is crap and can see the flicker.

Gamers are under the impression that more FPS = Good. The truth is above the refresh rate of your monitor it really doesn't matter. If you have a 60 Hz screen (max 60 FPS as Hz = FPS) then it will look the same regardless if you are getting 60 FPS or 14,719 FPS. You can make yourself think that you can observe an improvement when increasing from a minimum of 60 FPS but in truth there is none.

Soldato

Well I think 60-140fps is a great result! :)

If the minimum frame rate you are getting never ever dips below 60fps your unlikey to notice any improvement if the monitor is restricted to 60Hz. There are a few LCD monitors floating around that offer 75Hz, not sure if consumer LCD goes any higher than this? :confused:

I suppose that's why some die-hard twitch-shooter types refuse to relinquish their old 120Hz CRT monitors . . .

Anyway Zeesh, if your CPU is still at stock 2.4GHz you should see some theoretical improvements if you increase the processors frequency, 3GHz should be ample and shouldn't be too hard to attain from a Q6600 combined with an Asus p5q pro turbo! :cool:

Soldato
To clear this up, films and television have a frame rate of 24fps because each frame contains motion blur. Thus, the eye perceives constant motion. In a game, each frame is usually rendered 'as-is', ie a still image, which means that the average frame rate needs to be around 40 to appear smooth, and preferably higher.

Back
Top Bottom