Overclocking the Asus 1080 Strix isn't going well

Soldato
Not really, pascal operates in small steps. Even at say 60 degree's you will likely drop a step from if the card was running at 40 degrees. This is pretty normal behavior in addition to the significant taper off in speeds you see when you hit the thermal target number at the top end.

You can see there on a solid article explaining boost 3.0 showing that even at lower temps the card can reduce frequency: https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/15

It is really only under water where the card is so cool will you usually hit and stay at a consistent frequency (also mentioned in the article).

Caporegime
Not really, pascal operates in small steps. Even at say 60 degree's you will likely drop a step from if the card was running at 40 degrees. This is pretty normal behavior in addition to the significant taper off in speeds you see when you hit the thermal target number at the top end.

You can see there on a solid article explaining boost 3.0 showing that even at lower temps the card can reduce frequency: https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/15

It is really only under water where the card is so cool will you usually hit and stay at a consistent frequency (also mentioned in the article).

I've never watercooled before however isn't it a lot more expensive to do properly? How much would it cost for instance to cool a 1080 and a CPU within a rig? Over buying just a £50 CPU cooler in comparison.

Permabanned
Yes its much more expensive than a £50 cpu cooler and arguably the gains are minimal. You could easily spend 2-300 quid for a basic setup.

Benefits are often a very very quiet PC and you can keep the GPU cool enough to reach its max boost and stay there. My 1080 hits 40 degrees gaming and stays at its max clock of 2110 ish without throttling.

Soldato
I've never watercooled before however isn't it a lot more expensive to do properly? How much would it cost for instance to cool a 1080 and a CPU within a rig? Over buying just a £50 CPU cooler in comparison.

Yup it is a fair bit more expensive, The EK gaming fluid kits for example which brings together more budget orientated parts is £250 for CPU / GPU and rest of part's, but all down to parts you select. Can get very expensive quickly if plan your own loop, start adding fittings, more rads / fans and so on.

For performance it is not really worth it on GPU side as a solid Strix air cooler can pretty much extract all the performance anyways. Will you be able to hold the highest clock speeds you can achieve under water, no not really, but dropping a few MHz here or there will not mean much in actual use, outside of very specific synthetics.

Soldato
alphacool, not pretty but eisbaer and their GPX unit and your good to go , £120 for the 360 AIO then £70 for the block - £10 i think for premade quick disconnect kit

before
jLuOXvE.jpg
after
mQ9gvkt.jpg
was lucky, on trade so cost me £140 for full water setup that did 54c after FireStrike Stresstest repeated 3 times in a row
and all copper bar alumin heatsink , gpu block is copper - but ekwb showed water kit designed well under alumin is just as good, unlike the first AIO kits by asetek....

Back
Top Bottom