overclocking

Soldato
It looks like it comes with a standard cpu cooler unless you specified a bigger cooler?

In which case you'll need to buy and fit a bigger cooler which will involve pretty much dismantling the whole PC. Are you comfortable building PC's /fitting coolers?

Soldato
Not as such, but cpu temperatures can and will easily get out of control on a standard cooler, to the point where it'll limit you to such a small overclock it might not be worth doing without a bigger cooler..

Associate
OP
Watched a video its not hard to add a water cooled system but its up to my son to buy that now I will tell him what one to get then I will install it but to my original questions
I got this system for my sons 21st but I have never overclocked before how do I do it I know its from the bios but I need to know what settings to change and what to change them to
How do I overclock this card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC

Associate
To overclock a Nvidia GPU you want to use MSI afterburner and unlock the settings, then you can adjust the core and memory settings, small increments try moving the core clock speed up 20mhz at a time run a decent GPU benchmark to test for stability, then once you get a crash or artefacts back it back to the last stable clock.
Same with the memory clocks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFcUMFjAE0

Associate
As FlyingScotsman has said, MSI afterburner is the best OC tool to use on the GPU side. I used the Palit one on mine originally, but it was rubbish, so went back to Afterburner. As far as the OC itself goes, these Pascal chips really seem to be a lottery. I've got mine on +225 core and +550 memory at the moment, but have run it +250/700 stable, but boost clocks seem to max at 2126 and just hold there and memory over 550 doesn't make any real difference other than to benchmarks.

Associate
CPU will probably be fine without an OC if it's the 8600 or 8700, they still toast pretty much everything out there in gaming at stock boost clocks lol. GPU should see a good gain though hopefully, the increase on mine was fairly dramatic, but then the 1070ti is clocked pretty low out the box!

Man of Honour
My son wants it done so I said I would we dads don't like to let or kids down

In that case depending on the actual CPU and Motherboard you have , you will be looking at increasing the CPU multiplier and the VCcore with them, providing you have a CPU that's unlocked to do so (K version). You may have to do this for each core.. and you may also need to adjust the LCC to compensate for any Voltage Drops.

Here is a good article that maybe able to get you off and running.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index3.html

Make sure you have an adequate cooler in place, such as AIO.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom