• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overheating at just 64 degrees?

Associate
Hi guys.
My psu blew the otherday so i bought a new one. My system only needs 500w to run but i bought 650w to be safe.
While i was there i picked up a new cooler for my graphics card as the fan as been noisy as hell for ages and it went out of 2 year warranty a week or so ago.

I replaced it and now my graphics card is cutting out at 64 degrees.
Basically i cant run any 3D applications without it crashing to a grey screen of vertical lines.

Its an ATI 4890HD.

Last time i had this problem was when i had a 4850 and it did the same, they replaced it and it did the same again so i got this 4890 and its always been fine. Its always ran above them temps with no problems.

Any idea how to fix this? Has the bios reset to something weird?
I cant even open FurMark without it dying.

Edit: The 12v connector on this psu is only 4 pin not 8 like the last one, could this be causing it? I looked online and people have been saying 4 pin with this mobo should be ok, but thought was worth mentioning.

Last PSU had 2x 6pin pcie cables, this one only has one, so i have the other 6 pin required for the card running off 2 molex adapter.

system:
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 810 2.6GHz
OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz)
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
ATI 4850HD
2x 160gb HDD sata
1x 1tb HDD

Case:HAF with 3x230mm fans, 2x140mm fans.

Readings with only webpages running:
58q.png

gbs.png

What's running at over 100???

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok. i just ran a log on gpu-z and the temps didnt change when it crashed, it just crashed after about 5 seconds of it running.
The gpu core clock dropped from a constant 500 to 240 though :confused:

Ok, running my flat mates 4870 in my pc and its fine, no problems. His goes upto 90 on furbar doing 1080 benchmark and its fine.
His VDDC phase temps are about 70. Mine are about 110 =s Could this be what is causing the crash? If so what is it that's getting hot? I have some spare adhesive heatsinks, what do they go on?

EDIT: Ok, my flat mate is running my card in his pc, he's playing BFBC:2 on full specs, for about 10 mins and its not crashed out.
edit2: ok after 15 mins its crashed, and the whole system has crashed =/

Ok, the VDDC phase temps are idling at 75 now ive added the extra sinks. Still crashing after a bit though, is that just because its getting too hot at about 120 degrees when running furmark?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm afraid it sounds like your PSU blowing up has also damaged your 4890. A very common problem.

Looks like you'll need a new GPU. Get yourself into the members market and look out for a cheap replacement, or just see it as time to grab a Sapphire 5850 extreme for £114:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-259-SP

I could be wrong, but the fact that it crashes in another PC and a different card works fine, does not sound good. :(

Associate
your voltage regulators are far too hot im afraid, while running furmark they should not really go over 100-105 deg. what cooler did you get to replace the origional??

Soldato
i had this with an artic cooling cooler.

didnt cool the voltage regulators at all and they overheated. Your GPUZ screen shows them far too hot im guessing your cooler is pants or fitted incorrectly.

Associate
OP
Its an artic cooling cooler, the fanless one. I hadnt fitted the cooling on the voltage regs correctly, like an idiot. It works for TF2 but its getting a little too hot for other games, im going to buy the silent fans for it, only £5.
I didnt think id need fans as my case keeps all other components at about 30 degrees, but looks like i do.

Associate
if yourgoint to use one of those coolers with a 4890 add a fan to it, i just used to use zip ties to attach it, also make sure your heatsink(s) on the voltage regulators are fitted right and that some airflow from the fan will blow over them :)

Associate
Hi guys.
i picked up a new cooler for my graphics card as the fan as been noisy as

I skip read the post and failed to realize you'd replaced the cooler! Sorry my mistake, the card may yet live! :)

Passive isn't going to cut it on a power hungry card as you've found out it's not just the GPU that needs cooling.

You do need good airflow and heatsink solution for a 4890. They are amongst the hottest and most power hungry group of graphics cards and the voltage regulators get some serious stress.

Definitely need some airflow directly over the card - as suggested, a very low RPM 120mm will do the job nicely. I wouldn't try and plug a 120mm into the graphics card jack - it will be designed for a specific wattage fan and control profile.

Last edited:
Soldato
The graphics card's PWM signal won't ramp up the speed of an attached fan enough as it'll only work on GPU temperature and not the hot vrm. Better to use a 120mm fan connected to a fan controller or something so you can slow the rpm to a point where it is quiet enough but provides the cooling the Vrm need. Big heatsinks on the vrm are useful here.

My 4890 was a vapor-x and it had a large unisink that got decent airflow from the installed 80mm fan but the unisink itself was not directly cooled. The vrm hit 100 degrees quite often.

Back
Top Bottom