• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overheating BFG 8800GTX ?

Associate
Guys,

wondering if anyone has seen similar...

Playing Company of Heroes, after a while i get artifacts and jaggies on particles (particles become square blocks etc)

it is random which particles are effected, and seems to happen aftre a while on busy screens. i did a graph of temps during play of Company of Heroes, and the temp on the 8800 just goes up and up and up in steady line.

has anyone else experienced anything like this?

the rest of the box is a [email protected] (on H20) and some Corsair Dominator 2Gb @ 900Mhz, BFG 680i mobo.

Associate
OP
when i tested for 5 minutes last night it was at 78 and still rising

i seem to be idling at about 66, but it takes it a long time to get back there after load.

Associate
try running the core 2 duo at lower speeds. Try stock first see if that helps.

Also 70 does seem a little high if u ask me

Last edited:
Soldato
Those temps are fine.
Mine idles at 68 and can reach 89c when gaming at stock fan speed. I usually set the fan speed to 85% when gaming, and that keeps load temps below 75c.

Do you get artifacts with other games? Have you tried different drivers?

Junk said:
when i tested for 5 minutes last night it was at 78 and still rising

i seem to be idling at about 66, but it takes it a long time to get back there after load.

dude don't worry, these things run hot, mine on load runs at about 80-90 degrees after about an hour of gaming, I think the cutoff for these cards is about 115 degrees, I've got an email from BFG somewhere where they say that they tested these cards on load at 90c and they ran fine, as long as you have air moving round your case.

Associate
OP
Sir Random said:
Those temps are fine.
Mine idles at 68 and can reach 89c when gaming at stock fan speed. I usually set the fan speed to 85% when gaming, and that keeps load temps below 75c.

Do you get artifacts with other games? Have you tried different drivers?

I have only ever seen anomolies in Company of Heroes. The drivers are the 97.92 ones from the nvidia website.

zia

zia

Associate
can i ask what you use to measure temp's.. rivatuner or nividia tune program?
got my rig up and running and want keep's tab's on what gpu is doing

zia

Soldato
I think there's something wrong though, if you're getting artifacts during gameplay. Do memtest just to help rule that out, and lower your overclock to rule that out too.

Then tell the manufacturer that you're having problems, they might be able to help you diagnose and decide whether to RMA or not.

You might also wanna pop into the Company of Heroes forum and ask there.

Also, if you do email BFG's support, don't tell them you've overclocked because from what I can tell tech supports are always too fast to blame problems on overclocks..!

zia

zia

Associate
mine idle's at 64-69*c and goes upto 80*c when playing nfs carbon gpu fan is at 60% duty and everything is at stock speed's.

zia

p.s it bfg too and same case as you junk :D

Associate
OP
driver re-installation seems to have cured the issue, i'm wondering if there was a quirk soemwhere that wasnt managing the fan speed properly as now the temps level out nively at around 78.

thanks for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom