• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overheating

Soldato
I've just been throught the process of overclocking my cpu. Found a reasonable speed so thought I'd see how it effects my game speed. Just exited a game and saw my 7800GTX was running at 92C:eek:.

I took it out and blew out the dust but there wasn't really much there. It's not a problem with the heat inside the case as thats ok. It was overclocked to 441/1300 so I reduced it back to 400/1200 but its still up in the low 90's. It's at 65C odd idle.

Have I borked it up somehow??

I had just convinced myself not to upgrade my gfx as I'm only gonna need this computer for 6 months ish before I'll be going away for a year so when I return all this tech will be seriously outdated, but this is seriously making me reconsider....

What do you think?

Last edited:
Permabanned
From what I've seen, graphics card temps in the 90s when loaded isn't abnornmal. Especially for the 7800s, as their cores are of a higher NM. The 3800s and 8800s can put out about 90c when loaded too, so my opinion is that it should be fine. I haven't owned a 7800 though, so It'll be best to get confirmation from someone who has experience with them :).

Associate
when my fan stops on my 8800gtx it goes upto 130 then it shuts itself down,so have to reboot it to get the fan running again,would send it back but it doesnt do it all the time so no my luck it wont do it when thet try it out

Soldato
OP
Well the theshold hold limit in the control panel is 115C, but when it goes above 90 it goes into the 'red zone' on the temperature scale, so I dont think 90's is really a safe temperature

Back
Top Bottom