Overnight charge issue

Soldato
For the last month or so my iPhone 14 Pro Max has been losing about 10% battery in 18 or so hours. This is in standby overnight without me touching it. Therefore I’m having to charge it every 4-5 days. It never used to be like this, it’s not the battery as it has 98% health.

If I put it into aeroplane mode it loses about 2-3% over the same period. So I’m thinking for some reason I’m getting a poor cellular signal which is draining the battery whilst it tries to maintain a connection.

Only thing I’ve done in last month is update to iOS 18 which it did automatically. Any ideas?

Well I’ve charged it to 100% yesterday morning at 9:30 am and placed it near a window. Just checked it now and it’s still on 100%. So it was definitely struggling with the cell tower signal causing the battery to drain excessively.

I’ve also set it to 4G instead of 5G Auto as we don’t have 5G here yet, that may have helped as well.

Sorry, for the uninitiated (me), are we concerned that the phone has lost 10% battery in 18 hours, and 4-5 days without a charge is a troublesome figure? I'm only asking because most threads I'm reading state people are struggling to get through a working day without a charge.

Sorry, for the uninitiated (me), are we concerned that the phone has lost 10% battery in 18 hours, and 4-5 days without a charge is a troublesome figure? I'm only asking because most threads I'm reading state people are struggling to get through a working day without a charge.

He makes a point about not touching it for 18 hours - not sure why he has a phone or why he cares about having to charge it. Might as well get a nokia 3300…

Are you doing an experiment with it?
Yeah I experimented with placing it near a window set to 4G only to see if that would reduce battery usage from 10% in 18 hours to nearer 2% to 3% in the same time period when in aeroplane mode. This is without me using it obviously.

It’s now down to 97%. I think the 100% I had first thing this morning was a bit optimistic as that was after 24 hours and it’s bound to lose something.

Man, I wish I had as much spare time as you.
It really bugged me that it was going through so much battery when I wasn’t doing anything with it. Like I say it never used to. I’m glad I’ve got to the bottom of it otherwise charging every 4 days wouldn’t be great for the battery.

If your using it a lot then charging it often is fine, it only costs £93 for a new battery here.

It really bugged me that it was going through so much battery when I wasn’t doing anything with it. Like I say it never used to. I’m glad I’ve got to the bottom of it otherwise charging every 4 days wouldn’t be great for the battery.

If your using it a lot then charging it often is fine, it only costs £93 for a new battery here.
I don't understand. What do you use (or not use) the phone for that you see charging every 4-5 days as a bad thing? Are you expecting week long battery life?

FWIW, signal is pretty weak on my house so I enable WIFI calling and that greatly helped - I assume it means the phone is constantly trying to pull in a weak mobile signal?

Last edited:
It’s now down to 97%. I think the 100% I had first thing this morning was a bit optimistic as that was after 24 hours and it’s bound to lose something.
Why do you even have a phone?

Just get a Raspberry Pi with a little plug in screen and program it to show a picture of a battery with a number that drops slowly over a few days :-D

This is the weirdest/dullest thread in internet history…
Why? I came here looking for help, my phone was losing 10% charge in 18 hours on standby. How or what I use my phone for is irrelevant, it’s my phone to use as I wish. It’s now down to 88% after 52 hours, it’s seems to be significantly better since placing it near a window.

I’ve had to move it to a different window as it was getting too hot. Will monitor the situation with regard to new position, it’s not supposed to get warmer than 45C.

Back
Top Bottom