P2P Investing

Zopa announcing plans to open a next generation bank

I hope they get somewhere with it. Two high street banks changed the rates of their loans after being "accepted" after doing a pre-check then applying and sending the paperwork out for me to confirm the loan. Zopa gave me a rate online more competitive and didn't fluff about with the figures, had the cash within a couple of days.

Hey all. Im currently investing a few quid across a number of P2P platforms. Using zopa, ratesetter, funding circle and archover currently. You guys know of any other quality platforms, or having any issues with those?

Also looking at doing some share dealing but dont know where to start lol :)

Hey all. Im currently investing a few quid across a number of P2P platforms. Using zopa, ratesetter, funding circle and archover currently. You guys know of any other quality platforms, or having any issues with those?

Also looking at doing some share dealing but dont know where to start lol :)

Saving stream.

So I've had some nice success with Ratesetter so far, I'm on an annual interest rate of 3.3% split over the rolling and 1 year markets. I'm also ticking towards the 1 year £100 welcome bonus which will be paid out after 12 months.

I have a little more money and I'm thinking of diversifying into other platforms. The most recently suggested - Saving Stream - claims generous interest rates of up to 12%... what are they actually like in reality, though? They tick my box of having a provision fund with a 100% repayment rate, too. I'd also be interested to know if they had a referral scheme, as that's what really swayed me for Ratesetter - factoring in the bonus shunts the annual interest rate good and high for the first year.

SS seem to have a pretty good rep. People on P2P independent forum also seem very keen on Moneything. Both are quite a jump from RS or Zopa.

How diverse do you want to go? Abundance (renewables), Investly/Growth Street (~invoice trading), PropertyMoose/Partner (Property SPVs).

If you've not exhausted bank account switching incentives you should do that first. e.g. Nationwide £100 switching bonus (with referral) and 5% on £2.5k for a year.

SS seem to have a pretty good rep. People on P2P independent forum also seem very keen on Moneything. Both are quite a jump from RS or Zopa.

How diverse do you want to go? Abundance (renewables), Investly/Growth Street (~invoice trading), PropertyMoose/Partner (Property SPVs).

If you've not exhausted bank account switching incentives you should do that first. e.g. Nationwide £100 switching bonus (with referral) and 5% on £2.5k for a year.

Got 90% of my p2p investment in saving stream, I'm no p2p expert. Just seeing how it goes.

Nobody actually declares interest they earn on p2p investments anyway.
HMRC apparently know even if you don't declare, perhaps just not worth them chasing it in the scheme of things. The new allowance is a nice solution and probably covers it for most people.

HMRC apparently know even if you don't declare, perhaps just not worth them chasing it in the scheme of things. The new allowance is a nice solution and probably covers it for most people.

The only way they could possibly know is if all these p2p lenders sent hmrc a list of all their customers and how much interest they receive, so I don't buy it. Given the rate of return some people are getting, less than £10k in savings is going to put people over the limit.

What's to be confused about? People who bother to fill in a self assessment for interest they earn are in the small minority and are generally fools for doing so.

Last edited:
The only way they could possibly know is if all these p2p lenders sent hmrc a list of all their customers and how much interest they receive, so I don't buy it.
Why would that surprise you? They have pretty extensive data gathering powers. I'm sure I've read that various platforms have provided this information to them.

Why would that surprise you? They have pretty extensive data gathering powers. I'm sure I've read that various platforms have provided this information to them.

Because if they had that information they would already be taxing it at source, the one thing that must never be underestimated is the governments greed.

Allowances mean they don't tax at source. The personal tax accounts that are on the horizon though will make sure tax from earned income from all major sources won't be able to escape tax for the average pleb.

Because if they had that information they would already be taxing it at source, the one thing that must never be underestimated is the governments greed.

They do know and they use it alongside your other returns to look for prolific offenders.

Self employed are pretty high profile targets currently, if they see you've been "missing" that information off your SA they may take a very sudden interest in your other finances to see what else you are "missing".

So its been a while since this was discussed and a few things have changed since. Some comments on the 3 platforms I use :

ZOPA. Now fully FCA authorised. And have just launched the IFISA for existing lenders
They are also changing their offering from Access, Classic and Plus to Core and Plus. They will remove the safeguard system.
So all in all its seems they are going riskier for your average P2Per.
I still think rates are a little low considering the risk and lock in period.

Ratesetter, Still waiting on full authorisation. Suspect they are a little behind as they had a more complex model, also they lend to another lender which is a nono going forwards so this has stopped as its being phased out (could take years)
Still planning the IFISA but cant offer withour fund manager status and you cant get that without the full authorisation.
They withdrew the 3 year market so its rolling/1year and 5 year.
Rates have dropped and supply of capital has rocketed, they appear to be failing to grow and funds continue to build.
Its hard to recommend them right now, apart from the rolling is quite good for close to 3% on short term lending, albeit with risk that you COULD get locked in, although this hasn't happened yet and with so much capital on the platform right now its even more unlikely than ever.

Moneything. I started here planning to only invest small amounts but find myself ever increasing my funds, where as I am not willing to put anything else into ZOPA or Ratesetter.
MT is much smaller, but growing. Its a different type of lending, mainly to businesses, and mainly in property development, although there are other items such as fine wine, classic cars, super cars being lent against
Until recently it was hard to get anything other than new loans, as whilst there is a secondary market to buy and sell loans demand much outstripped supply so most things sold in seconds.
This has changed recently with more large loans, and some big loans expected to repay where some people look to pass them on before they actually repay.
They are fully authorised and have just decided to bring the IFISA forward so could be at minimum a month or so away now.
They have to be considered riskier than some platforms but the interest rates (current loans from 10.5-13% to lenders) are so far above both RS and ZOPA that as long as you diversify as much as possible seems a much better return after taking into account risk.

Risk I would say personally is very low on ratesetter, although if a major shock happened that could change quite quickly, risk would be some interest and or capital loss and potentially being tied in till the end.
Zopa I would say is fairly low, although will go up with the withdrawl of safeguard. Risk is mainly capital risk outside the safeguard covered loands. Diversity is the key although your at luck here.
MT is medium-high, but with much higher returns to balance the risk
I ignore platform failure risk in that (none are included in FCS so your money is at risk), although all have to have a contingency should they fail themselves. Someone will step in and pick up the loans that are still being repaid.

Interesting. Im using zopa, ratesetter, funding circle and archover.

Funding circle is by far the best return. Im losing patience with ratesetter as im finding it performs worst. Wouldnt use archover again, as its business lending and you have to pick your own loans which is a ball ache.

Might give moneything a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom