P4 CPU heatsink fitting.

Associate
Hi I said I would help someone as they said their heatsuink had fallen off. Being an AMD man I had a spare AMD one here and they bought the PC to me and it looks like a P4. It has a black plastic square attached to the motherboard with 4 white rivit type things.

If I buy a new hs will it come with this fixing or can I buy it on its own ?

Also is it a motherboard out job to change it ?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Are you talking about replacing the square black heatsink mount itself (assuming one corner has broken off)?

If so, then they must be bought seperately to the heatsink, and the mobo must be removed to fit it. To remove the old one, you pull out those white plastic rivets, and then the legs can be squeezed from the other side.

Some after-market coolers come with their own mounting bracket, so you wouldn't need to replace the default black plastic one.

Associate
OP
Sir Random said:
Are you talking about replacing the square black heatsink mount itself (assuming one corner has broken off)?

If so, then they must be bought seperately to the heatsink, and the mobo must be removed to fit it. To remove the old one, you pull out those white plastic rivets, and then the legs can be squeezed from the other side.

Some after-market coolers come with their own mounting bracket, so you wouldn't need to replace the default black plastic one.

Yes thats exactly that. Can you buy just the black bracket on its own as I have been given the heatsink ?

Back
Top Bottom