Pacific Rim - Epic new Scfi Movie

Caporegime
Off to watch this tommorrow night with the missus, is it worth watching in 3d or just the regular version??

Biggest screen you can get, even if it is 3D, iMAX even better.

I watched it in 3D iMAX and felt very natural. The 3D wasn't needed but the important point is that it was not intrusive so the effects were not done to show off the 3D effect, merely to blend in.

Down side, it cost me £14.30 !

Caporegime
Biggest screen you can get, even if it is 3D, iMAX even better.

I watched it in 3D iMAX and felt very natural. The 3D wasn't needed but the important point is that it was not intrusive so the effects were not done to show off the 3D effect, merely to blend in.

Down side, it cost me £14.30 !

Sadly wont be able to watch it in imax as i have no imax screen close to where i live...closest one i think is greenwich but cant be bothered to drive down there:p.

Vue cinema is where ill be watching it, the have the vue extreme screen which i have watched a few movies on but looking at their schedule for tommorrow, it doesnt look like they have any showings on their vue extreme screens which is a tad strange.

Guess ill just watch in 3d on a normal screen unless they do show it on the vue extreme screen tommorrow.

Caporegime
Finally got round to watching this tonight with the missus and just one word i have to say...what a pile of....

wait for it..wait for ittttt

AWESOMENESS!!!:D:D.

I knew it looked good from the trailers but this was out of this world. Lots of action, loud as hell and the Jaegers along with the Kaiju's were simply out of this world. Didnt think the missus would like it but she loved it to bits.

Only things i didnt like was the Jap woman, why just why??...Rob from Eastenders, god knows how he got this gig...terrible actor and terrible Aussie accent...acted pretty much like he did in Eastenders:p...

Other than that this is a definite buy on Blu ray when it comes out.

Fantastic movie...10/10 for me.

Soldato
Watched it last night - I had the mind set of going in to watch an action film, not soppy love story or too much science and logic.

I was not disappointed. Boom boom smash right from the start to the end. Thoroughly enjoyable!

alx

alx

Soldato
I generally liked the film, good action scenes etc. Some of the 'logic' really let it down for me though, not physics or anything, more when and where some of the robots weapons were used.....

Caporegime
Jesus,just got backfromthis... what a complete dissappointment.

I was expecting the following:

• Tons of action scenes
  • Average script
  • Mediocre acting

What we got was the following:

• Not as many good action scenes as it needed
  • Awful script
  • Diabolical acting and irritating characters

I mean seriously, I wasn't going into it with any big requirements. I just wanted tons of amazing eye-candy and small "normal" bits in-between that din't annoy me too much. The first action scene with the bridge being destroyed was cool, but then there was pretty much a way-too-long period of being inside the base, which would have been ok had the acting or script being even at best average, or the characters remotely likeable. Sadly, that wasn't the case. Notable cringes came from the direction of the scientists, what an awful 'comedy duo'.

As for the logic, I can accept anything as long as a movie creates a good enough atmosphere to forgive or not notice things such as that... but at points this really scraped the barrel. Experienced Jager pilot forgetting he had a sword weapon? Right. 2500 ton monster flying into the upper atmosphere? Right. The fact that their weapons are generally **** in general? Right. I can't be arsed to go into the rest.

Forgettable and disappointing movie.

5/10.

Last edited:
Soldato
As for the logic, I can accept anything as long as a movie creates a good enough atmosphere to forgive or not notice things such as that... but at points this really scraped the barrel. Experienced Jager pilot forgetting he had a sword weapon? Right. 2500 ton monster flying into the upper atmosphere? Right. The fact that their weapons are generally **** in general? Right. I can't be arsed to go into the rest.

Forgettable and disappointing movie.

5/10.

Not too sure what was wrong with those last few aspects of the film you mentioned (it's a science fiction afterall), but concerning that sword, I'm pretty sure the experienced pilot didn't know about it given it was five years since he last piloted it and there may have been modifications made...

Caporegime
Not too sure what was wrong with those last few aspects of the film you mentioned (it's a science fiction afterall), but concerning that sword, I'm pretty sure the experienced pilot didn't know about it given it was five years since he last piloted it and there may have been modifications made...

I am a complete science fiction and fantasy nut, so if I notice things in a movie that suspend my disbelief, then it's a problem for me.

I know full well that many loved this movie, just as many people generally do love average movies. That doesn't stop it from being a bit pants.

Soldato
Saw it at the weekend and this. Giant robots fighting giant monsters, what's not to like? :cool:

Some people expect Inception like story and acting.

I loved it, but do agree with Richdog a bit on the Chain Sword. Needed more sword action, then they would never have had the problems they did fighting the things ;)

Caporegime
I loved it, but do agree with Richdog a bit on the Chain Sword. Needed more sword action, then they would never have had the problems they did fighting the things ;)

I know... the Jager basically has 3x weapons, of which the sword would be the primary close combat weapon... and he doesn't read up on them before he steps in the cockpit? Bleurgh. Sure.

Associate
If you just go into a film expecting it to be crap, then you can't be disappointed when it is. But if it turns out to be quite good, then result.
That's how I treat all films, especially endings.

Have you lot heard of 'Atlantic Rim'? Now that's a film..

Back
Top Bottom