Packing PC components into a suitcase....!! Do I absolutely need those anti-static bags??

Associate
I'm moving to the USA and hoping to take my PC components with me, so motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM and HDDs.... I'm hoping I can just pack them between items of clothing to pad them in. I'm having trouble finding some anti-static bags to pack them in, however, and I leave in 3 days...!

Do you think anti-static bags are absolutely necessary to avoid zapping the components or would ziplock sandwich type bags be just as good?? Or worse?!!

Associate
OP
There's a slim chance I could take them in hand luggage but what'd the difference be? I didn't think cards sandwiched between multiple layers of soft fabric would be at any great risk being loaded into the hold in a suitcase? Or is there more chance of static discharge down there??

Soldato
You not seen the way baggage handlers treat suitcases ? :D Much better to carry them yourself and store them in the overhead locker. I would still try and get hold of a couple of padded envelopes, or even something like those ziploc freezer bags etc. Some fabrics such as Nylon etc can build up static.

Associate
OP
You not seen the way baggage handlers treat suitcases ?

Lol yeah, but it's a piece of RAM, not a ming vase.... I mean, even something like a GPU isn't particularly 'fragile' when sandwiched between 10 layers of t shirts?!

Yeah I have plenty of Ziploc freezer bags, but just didn't know whether they might actually be WORSE than nothing as I figured perhaps the anti-static bags were made of a specific kind of plastic that helps dissipate charge or something....?? But yeah if worst comes to worst I'm sure I can just use those or padded envelopes.

Soldato
Lol yeah, but it's a piece of RAM, not a ming vase.... I mean, even something like a GPU isn't particularly 'fragile' when sandwiched between 10 layers of t shirts?!

Yeah I have plenty of Ziploc freezer bags, but just didn't know whether they might actually be WORSE than nothing as I figured perhaps the anti-static bags were made of a specific kind of plastic that helps dissipate charge or something....?? But yeah if worst comes to worst I'm sure I can just use those or padded envelopes.

Up to you if you want to do that. I would rather have it in my carry on luggage if possible. Plus once you get to the USA they might want to see what those objects are once they x-ray your case.

Soldato
well, i go on international flights and take pc parts for a good cause, but i always pack the parts in hand luggage or they wont survive.

One of my suitcases didnt survive the last journey and it was only used twice since new so i cant see his pc parts lasting the journey.

Back
Top Bottom