Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Associate
Had a quick look and couldn't find one thread devoted to paddlesports. Happy to be told otherwise.

Let's use this thread to discuss any element of paddlesports. Kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddle boards, etc.

I've dabbled in Kayaking throughout my youth in Scouts and in December 18 joined my local club. Haven't done any moving water yet but, have got to 2*/Paddle Explore standard on flat water.

Also just completed my FSRT (Foundation Safety and Rescue training) which was immense fun and very wet.

Anyone planning any trips?

Associate
OP
I kayak and sup but mostly flat water on Thames. Have a little Thames tour coming up from Henley back to home just down from Hampton court. Got a new 14 foot rigid board yesterday nice jump in terms of glide over my inflatable.

14 ft sounds massive for a SUP. We have tiny ones at the club but, that seems to make them go in circles when I paddle them!

Associate
OP
I'd love to get into something like this, but when looking at options the nearest place was around an hour away which is a bit far really for a hobby.

Am off to Corfu next month and might look to rent something.

I have some friends from Euxton Canoe Club who meet in Chorley.

Associate
OP
Interesting, I knew SUP's were popular. I didn't think they was this popular.

I suppose our club has 5 boards (180 boats/craft in total) but, we paddle in Liverpool docks and there is always other paddleboarders in there.

Associate
OP
I'm out again this evening for a volunteers and coaches session to keep up the skills I'll need for assessment as a leader/coach.

Associate
OP
Are you able to send over any details? Do they do SUP aswell or just Canoeing? Struggled to find much on their website.

Another thing i need to fix/work on. Is that a few years ago during a bench press session, something in my left elbow went weird. Now it still resurfaces every now and then in the gym but only on "pushing" movements. It's find on anything like a row etc. However after 30 mins on the SUP on holiday i felt it again. It's a weird pain as it goes pretty much instantly, but would need to get it fixed before tackling something. I've seen physios about it before with no success and it's a bit erratic about when it kicks in.

Guy I've paddled with a few times said best to use Facebook and search for "Euxton Canoe Club" and chat on there. He said they have 1 club SUP that is never used but, someone who can instruct on it.

Good luck, seems a lovely small club from what he has told me. We are both part of Liverpool Canoe Club that has a huge SUP contingent and 500 members.

Associate
OP
Had the first kayak lesson of 4 at a local watersports centre.

It was good, but I feel like I had the right foot too close to me. I couldn't move my right leg at all - it was hard against the support and my feet got very pins and needley and crampy pretty quickly. I felt that I was pretty unstable as I kept having to adjust the leg or bring it out the support thing. Is this right and something that I'll get used to or should I have the foot rest a bit further back? The guy said it will be uncomfortable but he will try and get me a bigger boat next week.

I'm 6'1 and 95kg if that helps?

I'm 6'1 and around 105kg, was you in a large boat?

Your legs should be almost locked with the footplate and the thigh brace but, shouldn't give you pins and needles. You need the contact points of your feet, thighs and backside to aid getting the boat on edge and to ensure effective trunk rotation.

Try the bigger boat and see how it fits is what I'd suggest!

Associate
OP
Shame - I know my club (Liverpool) had a "SUP North" contingent that was in Southport but, not heard anything of them since I joined so assume they set their own thing up.

I'm considering a Paddleboard as I'm hoping to start instructing the Scout group in the next few weeks.

Associate
OP
Seen a few places putting on the SUP sheltered water award. Might be something I'll be interested in if I find a cheap one somewhere

Associate
OP
Is that so you have an accredited award to enable you to teach?

Otherwise I’d have thought a one to one lesson at SUP north would’ve been more beneficial from a learning point of view.

Well the inevitable happened. I went into the canal. It was nice knowing you all. I’m sure the diseases will take me soon.

Finished my paddle and thought I’d have a go at moving on the board at the end as I’m very rigid and feel like I’m clinging on with my feet/toes. Had seen a few videos suggest the best way was to “hop” backwards. Nope straight in the water!

No, that's a personal award but, I'm sure there is now a sup coach award.

Did anyone watch "Expedition with Steve Backshall" he did a white kayak trip that was on some really pushy water.

Associate
OP
Does anyone have any experience of Decathlon SUP's? I might invest in them for the scout group if they are good. Are there any cheap alternatives?

Associate
OP
Thanks Skidder.

Bit of paddling for me tonight in Liverpool Docks doing a coaches session. Looking forward to being back on the water.

Associate
OP
@MM-Seat How've you been getting on with paddling?

I went to visit my folks in Spain last week and took my board with me. Figured the cost of the bag in the hold would be similar to the hiring costs anyway. Plus my mum said she'd always fancied it so it gave her more chance to try it out (including practising in the pool with no-one watching!)

What i found amusing was just how bad some people are at it. There were lots of people trying it out in the bay (pic above in post 47), and loads just couldn't stand up for longer than a few seconds. Made me feel like a pro!

Depending on how often i head over there, i might leave my board there and pick up a longer board for over here. With hold costs being around £60 per trip then it pays for itself after about 5 times. Plus it's there for my parents/friends and with having the kayak seat it might be better for them.

Nice one, I've not been out as much due to just coming back from the states but, looking to get serious again in the next few weeks. I am determined to get a solid roll this winter in the pool.

I achieved my permits so I can take the local Scout Group out on sheltered water which will be great once I get round to it. I'm also looking into some Coaching Quals so that I can offer coaching to the group rather than taster sessions. I'm doing similar with Hillwalking (Course in Feb!)

We have been looking at some iSUPs as we have limited storage space at the group. Which one did you get?

Associate
OP
Dammit

Had an email from Bluefin about their BF sales, and they had an ex demo version of the 14" x 30" board for £179 (b grade) or £199 (a grade). Annoyingly i didn't have my wallet with me and now i do they've all sold.

Whilst i'd been thinking about higher end touring boards, i don't think i could've said no at that price!

I'd have had some for the scouts at that price! What price are they usually

Associate
OP
I haven't as all my paddling was with others. My instructor course has been postponed as well which is upsetting but, understandable.

Associate
OP
Got out. My first time since October. Was great to be out again.

If anything I felt steadier. Months of lots of running/ankle strengthening and weight loss must’ve had an impact.

Now back to wanting a longer board!

Good going! I haven't been out since August.

I think you accidently commented on my Strava run yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom