Painting kitchen cupboards with no sanding/prep

Soldato
It's almost springtime so planning some DIY projects in the flat. We just did a massive clear out of stuff in our kitchen. Whilst doing so we realised the cupboards are proper grim to look at and re looking very tired.

I've googled load of videos about repainting with little to no prep. Most seem to say use a primer then can use paint. I have some cover stain Zinsser primer left over from a water leak a few years ago in the hallway but not sure it will be enough and not the right thing for the job anyway.

Most videos online are in the USA and so have products I can't find here. Then I found a link to a UK based supplier and its' called ESP Primer. https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/esp-easy-surface-prep/

Some of the cupbords have some slight chips in the melamine* or whatever is on the cupboards already, definitely paint and not bare laminate.

Not looking for a super pro finish but just want to do enough to make it feel fresh in there and able to change handle etc to give it a different look.

Anyone done this recently and has some feedback?

Associate
ESP is brilliant stuff. Basically allows you to prime almost any material for the top coat of paint to bond to. Use a small roller, and several thin coats to get a nice flat surface prime. Finish with a paint of your choice again in several light coats allowing some drying time between each coat.

Soldato
With painting, a lot of the work is in the prep, and as it's stuff in a kitchen, it's going to have got greasy over the years. Unless you want to do it twice, you're going to have to at least clean the surfaces, or else you're going to be painting on top of dirt and grease. Even the ESP page you link to says:
Surface Preparation
First clean and dry all surfaces to remove oil, grease and other contaminants and remove any loose and flaking old finish. For oily, greasy, waxed or varnished surfaces prepare by scrubbing with a green scourer or 00 steel wool soaked with ESP. Wipe clean after 5-10 minutes then follow the standard application instructions.

Spend a bit of extra time doing prep now, and it will save you a lot of time doing it all over in the future.

Soldato
OP
With painting, a lot of the work is in the prep, and as it's stuff in a kitchen, it's going to have got greasy over the years. Unless you want to do it twice, you're going to have to at least clean the surfaces, or else you're going to be painting on top of dirt and grease. Even the ESP page you link to says:

Spend a bit of extra time doing prep now, and it will save you a lot of time doing it all over in the future.

Yeah I will definitely degrease but not overly bothered about it lasting too long. Aim to be out in 3 years and the next owner can rip the kitchen out.

Soldato
I'd highly reccomend you prep it properly or risk it chipping/peeling almost straight away. The extra effort of keying the surface then tack clothing it down is half a day at most and it'll make a huge difference.

Soldato
Yeah I will definitely degrease but not overly bothered about it lasting too long. Aim to be out in 3 years and the next owner can rip the kitchen out.

Then i'd potentially not bother. No idea what it looks like now but I imagain it'll look even worse within 12 months of use and covered in scratches/chips/peeling paint.

Soldato
You can get cheaper chalk paint by other people, the annie sloan stuff is nice but jesus christ it's expensive for what it is. The wife painted a few things like our bedside cabinets in chalk paint and got it off ebay for about a quarter of the price of the annie sloan stuff.

Otherwise prep is always key with painting anything, don't do half a job as it'll look terrible in a matter of weeks/months.

Associate
We did this at our old house. Would recommend: -

Zinsser Bulls Eye 123
Farrow and Balls Eggshell Paint - http://www.farrow-ball.com/estate-eggshell/content/fcp-content

Preparation is key. Sugar soap to clean the doors up. Polycell Liquid Sanding and then use a light grade sand paper. Once that's done use bulls eye 123 and then farrow and ball. Take your time if you rush it the finish will come out rubbish.

Worth the effort as it did help sell the house!

Soldato
I did my old kitchen cupboards recently when I refitted them in the new utility room. I used Johnstones Revive cupboard paint. No primer or undercoat needed.

RTkFP7z.jpg

It was a bit soft and easily chipped at first, but after a few days to harden up it's been fine.

I'd highly recommend some kind of prep work though. You're going to have to clean them thoroughly anyway to have any chance of a decent job, so I'd suggest scrubbing them with sugar soap and an abrasive pad. They look like a plastic kitchen scouring pad, trade names of 3M Scotchbrite or Mirka Mirlon are the most popular, but anything similar will do. This will not only clean them more effectively but also provide enough of a key for your paint, whilst adding negligible extra cost and time to the job.

Soldato
OP
Thanks paintguy, I think I shall start with one side of the kitchen where there is only 2 cupboards, take the doors off and use these abrasive pads as you say will clean and key them up enough for primer/paint.

Back
Top Bottom