1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pancake pan

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by DB_SamX, Sep 20, 2019.

1. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

I make egg and banana pancakes at least once a week and have been using a high-sided frying pan so far.

I would quite like a dedicated pancake pan which has low sides (lips) to make it easier to make. I would also use it for flatbreads and omelettes.

I've had a look online. Le Creuset does one, which no doubt is amazing but too expensive at £95.

The more affordable options are by Tefal and around £20-£35, but they have so many options - stainless steel, aluminium, different types of non-stick finishes, etc!

Any recommendations or advice?

2. SoliD

Capodecina

i got the ikea 365 one which is absolutely fine. Doesn't work with induction though.

3. peterwalkley

Mobster

4. BUDFORCE

Wise Guy

Yea I bought one in M&S for the wife it's completely flat, works on induction and non stick was what, £25???

Lasting so far.....

5. BlueMerle

Hitman

I use a portable electric griddle for pancakes. Completely flat and nonstick. Broil King brand, a bit spendy at $91 US but it's been great.

6. One More Solo

Capodecina

I got two in Tesco on clearance recently for less than £10 each. I don't see the point in buying expensive non-stick cookware, the longevity and functionality seems the same across all of them so I'd rather have 9 £10 pans than 1 £90 pan.

7. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

I get your point, but 9 £10 pans over 9 years over a single £90 one is not environmentally friendly.

8. One More Solo

Capodecina

I totally get that, but I reckon the 9 £10 pans would last my lifetime used appropriately. I save the really high heat stuff for my cast iron skillet and hand wash them, increases their lifespan significantly.

9. Squid Vicious

Wise Guy

I gotta say I've been impressed with how well my le creuset have kept. Without a doubt the best frying pans I've ever owned and will hopefully last a lifetime.

10. HeadlessChicken

Wise Guy

11. Royston50

Associate

Hi all, new to the forum. I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know where to get/if they still make pancake pans with recipes on the back? Not coricraft but a specific pan that has a recipe on the back called “The perfect pancake pan” - silver background.

2. Does anyone know of a company that fixes frying pans? Recoats then with new non stick coating?

Thanks so muck

12. One More Solo

Capodecina

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Aluminium-Non-Stick-Pancake-Printed/dp/B000YJF0WK

Not sure on 2 though, is there any particular reason why you’re not keen to just replace it?

13. Flibster

Caporegime

I have a cast iron griddle pan that I use for pancakes. Fits in the small oven when not in use and uses the long 'fish' burner int he middle of the hob to heat it pretty evenly.

14. PlacidCasual

Soldato

A general observation on coatings is that surface preparation is key. Also the trick to Teflon coating was persuading something non stick to adhere to the pan in the first place. I would suggest that reliable coating can only be achieved through a highly controlled manufacturing process where you can control the surface condition, heat, humidity etc very carefully and as such is not suitable for repair works. Just my twopenneth based on some more general coating experience.

15. DB_SamX

Sgarrista

FYI, I bought the Le Creset one after it was 33% off RRP on Amazon; expensive but better value. It's great for pancakes; even my mum who uses traditional indian cast iron "tawas" said it was great after she used it to make india rotis.

16. akaFonzie

Hitman

I have the 28cm procook granite non-stick one, suitable for all hob types. Only used it once so far but it's much easier for cooking pancakes in than my regular pans, was about £33 from the rainforest, have an entire set made by them and they've lasted well through abuse, not through my partner and her love of using metal implements in non-stick pans though unfortunately :(

17. K.C. Leblanc

Sgarrista

If you decide to go for a cheapy one might be an idea to wait till after pancake day. You'll probably find the supermarkets are clearing them out.