Pantera - Vinnie Paul

Associate
Vinnie Paul has passed away today, aged 54.

Reported on Pantera's Facebook page and is hitting news outlets. I didn't follow the band members' post-Pantera works, but was a casual fan of Pantera, particularly a decade or so ago. They produced some brutal, challenging music, the pinnacle of which was Vulgar Display of Power for my tastes. 'Mouth for War', 'A New Level', 'Walk' and '******g Hostile' has to be one of the strongest opening quads to any album.

Rip Vin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Don't know who he is and never heard the music but 54 isn't any real age, as I'm not familiar with the guy in question was he 'sick'?

There seems to be quite a few music stars going at what seems to be a relatively young age (apart from the obvious drug/alcohol related ones) recently.

Soldato
Wow, the Pantera Home Videos were like a "how to live your life" guide when I was younger and 25+ years later me and a mate are still quoting lines from them when we get drunk. Such a massive shame for his family and friends!

Associate
Wow, the Pantera Home Videos were like a "how to live your life" guide when I was younger and 25+ years later me and a mate are still quoting lines from them when we get drunk. Such a massive shame for his family and friends!

Woah! Big Val!

I made my choice. You make yours. Death Smokesss...

And so on and so forth...

RIP Vinnie Paul. The guy always carried a bit of spare weight and seemed to be pretty "All-American" rock star so has probably been caning the booze and red meat till his heart stopped - not sure vegetables and yoga were his sort of thing. Hey, he had a good life, no doubt.

Oh, and to echo the OP, those first four tracks to Vulgar are excellent.

Associate
OP
as I'm not familiar with the guy in question was he 'sick'?

Unsure, and the cause of death has yet to be revealed.

I watched a documentary a while back which referenced some of the conflicts in Pantera which ultimately led to them disbanding; I'm sure within that there was brief allusion to some health problems Vinnie had - perhaps liver. Could be 2+2=6, but Pantera were as hard-rocking and hard-drinking as any of them, historical lifestyle may play a part here.

Associate
RIP. I was at Hellfest when we found out and there was very nice memorials of Vinnie on the big screens around the site. Such a shame even though I'm not the biggest Pantera fan but he was very influencial on a lot of drummers.

Back
Top Bottom