Paqueta - Betting Scandal

Soldato
Interesting case this one. Difficult for a Premier League midfielder to get booked as and when he likes. Especially this season, unless its a kicking the ball away thing then he's running the risk of picking up a red. Did anyone see Ben Fosters performance for Wrexham at the weekend? Looks way more of a fix than any booking Paqueta has had :D

fez

fez

Caporegime
I do wonder how much they analyse the betting vs their on field actions to determine what level of guilt there is. If you are betting on things and then directly influencing them they should throw the absolute book at him.

Soldato
I do wonder how much they analyse the betting vs their on field actions to determine what level of guilt there is. If you are betting on things and then directly influencing them they should throw the absolute book at him.
One is deliberately getting a yellow card.

Soldato
Man is surprised he's being charged after cooperating...does he think cooperating is a get out of jail free card or something?

I guess "cooperating" could imply he maybe thinks there are some mitigating circumstances?

Totally hypothetical, but blackmail/threats, possibly against friends/family back home? But we could speculate all day on such possibilities, so best not to assume anything and just wait for the facts.

Caporegime
There was a video of him suspiciously getting a yellow card a while back, I assume it is that incident.
There's a really suspicious Tonali yellow card incident as well, but he didn't bet on games he played in... so doesn't mean anything really..

The tonali one was he gets subbed off, but stands on the pitch looking confused until he gets a yellow card

Soldato
OP
There's a really suspicious Tonali yellow card incident as well, but he didn't bet on games he played in... so doesn't mean anything really..

The tonali one was he gets subbed off, but stands on the pitch looking confused until he gets a yellow card
if you look at the bench at the same time you can see why he was getting confused.

Soldato
Don

fez

fez

Caporegime
The sheer idiocy of it. He could have been earning hundreds of thousands for the next 5+ years, potentially £10m+/year and hes ruined that by better on his own games and cheating. Mind boggles.

Soldato
The sheer idiocy of it. He could have been earning hundreds of thousands for the next 5+ years, potentially £10m+/year and hes ruined that by better on his own games and cheating. Mind boggles.
You never know what’s going on at home, someone may have leverage over him or someone in his family.

Soldato
if you take the cricket example prison is a possibility
I was going to say, it's hard to see how this doesn't get picked up by the police after the Pakistan cricket incident.

Interesting that Mohammed Amir is now playing international cricket again, of course. Very different sport though - natural talent gets you incredibly far in cricket, whereas with a few years away from the PL scene I can't see how Paqueta could ever get back to that level, regardless of age.

Don
I was going to say, it's hard to see how this doesn't get picked up by the police after the Pakistan cricket incident.

Interesting that Mohammed Amir is now playing international cricket again, of course. Very different sport though - natural talent gets you incredibly far in cricket, whereas with a few years away from the PL scene I can't see how Paqueta could ever get back to that level, regardless of age.

Partly due to the fact of how young he was at the time and partly due to the fact that the Pakistan cricket board have always been on the dodgy side

Back
Top Bottom