Paradox making a star trek 4x game coming this year.

Soldato

Hope it is like a birth of the federation 2. I enjoyed that.

"Star Trek: Infinite puts players in command of one of four major powers in the galaxy, each with individualized traits, stories, quests, and more to make their play feel distinct," according to the announcement. "With stunning visuals, difficult choices, and unique gameplay, this game allows players to experience a beloved franchise in a new way as they navigate contact with other empires and worlds."

Developer is Nimble Giant Entertainment, publisher is paradox.

More info 16th june.

Last edited:
Associate
looks like a stellaris style game.

Im also hoping they do a good job of it, as i have a hidden crush for star trek games

Glad it is being made by paradox, who normally seem to know what they are doing

Hoping that when they release the game, it does not come with a lotr: gollum amount of bugs in it.

Last edited:
Soldato
If anyone hasn't already played the Stallaris Star Trek Mod "New Horizons" I'd highly recommend it. You can do pretty much anything in the entire galaxy. Can play most major/minor races, and while there are a few issues due to the way the game was built it does a decent job at hiding the flaws.

Soldato
OP
Paradox just the publisher some other dev making it thats just made 3 games i not heard of, its in the info speil. I updated the OP with some more info.

"Nimble Giant Entertainment, the studio behind the latest Master of Orion 4X"

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Anyone else picked this up? Basically uses stellaris which I am fine with. But felt like it needed a bit more time in the oven.

Good news is devs are listening and making changes and fixes. I got it for £18 I think so happy to wait a while before my first playthrough as busy with a few other games.

Looking forward to playing it though. Not often we get Star Trek games and at least this one is set in the TNG era which fir me is perfect.

Just hope the devs don't over do the dlc pricing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not played it yet. But it does do a lot of stuff the mod can't apparently. Worth the £18 just to have the proper Star Trek stuff for me.

Associate
Played it a bit, but not got far into it. Here's my take on it so far (well a mix of mine and things I've read which I have seen too):
- I came into this having loved Birth of the Federation back in the day, so was hoping for an updated version of that. Parts of it are, but it's not quite as quick to get into, with complexities around planet development I've not fully grasped yet (that said I haven't played stellaris which it is based on, so I'm at a lower starting point than some)
- that said the territory expansion element is engaging enough, and they do a decent job of making you balance it so you can't just charge out and take over the entire galaxy in a few minutes.
- really disappointed that there's no active engagement in battles - they're automated and you just watch your ships fly around shooting the enemy. It's probably the biggest reason I've not felt a desperate need to play it, since I realised. Not expecting a total war or homeworld style battle engine (although that would be awesome) but something with some kind of manual engagement in a battle should have been included. Big miss. That said again, my understanding is stellaris is the same.
- it is also buggy as hell. I've not seen too many yet, just some random voice samples for unrelated events (that said this is pretty basic and indicative of a rushed job) but lots of reports online as well, some of which are effectively game breaking.
- there are weird jumps around in the ST time line as well - eg. Your starting available ship is an old miranda class, then you can get the ent d and voyager, then it jumps back to an excelsior class, etc. And, you can mod your ships which is fun, but then the mods you can put on are for the most part, not really star trek canon.
- overall, somewhat disappointing. It was as said above released too early, but also feels a bit like they just got the guys who made stellaris to reskin that game superficially, rather than any star trek knowledge and understanding going into it. Feels a lot like a cheap cash grab. Hopefully patches will improve it.

Soldato
- really disappointed that there's no active engagement in battles - they're automated and you just watch your ships fly around shooting the enemy. It's probably the biggest reason I've not felt a desperate need to play it, since I realised. Not expecting a total war or homeworld style battle engine (although that would be awesome) but something with some kind of manual engagement in a battle should have been included. Big miss. That said again, my understanding is stellaris is the same.
Stellaris is like that. The idea is we are controlling the wider empire rather then each individual unit. Our choices have a major impact on the battle and performance but we don't control the fleets beyond telling the wider fleet its goals and where to move along with choosing tactics and ship design. Its pretty common for combat to be like this is space x4 games. One of the reasons is mid to late game where you have a large amount of fleets and large amount of battles on a number of different fronts. There is a lot of depth to battles it just comes down to tactics and design rather then us controlling units.

We shelfed the game for 6 months. Its got a lot of potential but its just not there and needs more work and patches.

Back
Top Bottom