Paralympics Tickets availability

Soldato
I always thought the Para in 'Paralympics' was to do with Paraplegia or Paralysed as just a general abbreviation noting that it's to do with disability. I'm guessing most of you know this but apparently it just means parallel with the Oympics :)

Associate
I always thought the Para in 'Paralympics' was to do with Paraplegia or Paralysed as just a general abbreviation noting that it's to do with disability. I'm guessing most of you know this but apparently it just means parallel with the Oympics :)

Yep, I thought the same for a while, but you are correct, in that it means "Parallel".

A lot of people (me included) think that there should be a single "Olympics" where a session would include able bodied, and those who'd normally compete in the Paralympics events. It would mean that the Olympics would be longer, but at the end of the day, they are all Olympians.

Obviously, you wound't have them competing against each other (apart from those who post qualifying times, like Oscar Prestorias)

Soldato
It also says that the park opens at 5.30pm. Have another look.

You are right, I don't know what I was thinking!

I guess they probably clear the entire park down in order to get everything in place for the Closing Ceremony, then keep everyone in a contained area so its easier to manage come finishing.

Can you get tickets just for a day park entry? How much are they?

Yes, however with the main Olympics they were all sold well advance of the Games. I don't recall seeing much in the way of extra tickets or re-releases for them though.

Bizarrely though, I just checked and there are some available right now for one day of the Paralympics:
http://www.tickets.london2012.com/eventdetails?id=000046BFADD71287

£10, but will probably be gone by the time you read this... or I finish typing!

Associate
Hopefully though it will mean packed out venues and a great atmosphere with so many ticket being sold. I got my tickets quite a while ago and am now really looking forward to the Paralympics. Have a day at Excel watching the powerlifting, the next day I am at the aquatics centre with the swimming and then the next day I am in the stadium watching the athletics. :)

Soldato
Yep, I thought the same for a while, but you are correct, in that it means "Parallel".

A lot of people (me included) think that there should be a single "Olympics" where a session would include able bodied, and those who'd normally compete in the Paralympics events. It would mean that the Olympics would be longer, but at the end of the day, they are all Olympians.

Obviously, you wound't have them competing against each other (apart from those who post qualifying times, like Oscar Prestorias)

I think the problem with that though is the events for the disabled olympians would be overshadowed by what's happening with the same events by the able bodied athletes. By having a separate olympics, the disabled athletes can be numero uno and enjoy the glory more since spectators will be totally focused on them and not the superheroes like usain bolt and michael phelps. It's sad to say but I think human nature is not as interested in disabled athletes so by giving them their very own platform with no distractions, it's better for them.

Soldato
I think the other reason it can't happen is due to the cost and logistics involved.

If the Olympics and Paralympics were on at the sametime, you would need an even bigger athletes village to cope with the further increase in athlete and staff numbers. For example the last Olympics had 3,900 Paralympians, I reckon you probably need to at least multiply that number by 6 to cover the support staff as well.

Associate
I think the problem with that though is the events for the disabled olympians would be overshadowed by what's happening with the same events by the able bodied athletes. By having a separate olympics, the disabled athletes can be numero uno and enjoy the glory more since spectators will be totally focused on them and not the superheroes like usain bolt and michael phelps. It's sad to say but I think human nature is not as interested in disabled athletes so by giving them their very own platform with no distractions, it's better for them.

I think the other reason it can't happen is due to the cost and logistics involved.

If the Olympics and Paralympics were on at the sametime, you would need an even bigger athletes village to cope with the further increase in athlete and staff numbers. For example the last Olympics had 3,900 Paralympians, I reckon you probably need to at least multiply that number by 6 to cover the support staff as well.

Good points :D

Soldato
GOt another!!! Athletics PAT 17 on Sat 8th morning.

It's great that you can now get your tickets emailed to you.

Edit: And my brother's bagged a few more athletics ones.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Tickets keep coming and going. I finally managed to get some a few days ago by searching for all sports in a particular timeslot. This site checks for spare tickets every few minutes but isn't infallible: http://tickets.prominenthosting.com/. You can also get updates by following https://twitter.com/2012TicketAlert and https://twitter.com/2012TicketAler2.

Unfortunately a lot of the tickets that become available are not in the Olympic Park so if you're looking to get a day pass for there you need to choose carefully. That said, the ExCel is a pretty good venue - I saw the Anthony Joshua gold medal fight there and there probably wasn't a bad seat in the house.

Soldato
Sadly, it appears you don't get a travelcard though! Still a saving though.

Ah yes could cause problems for anyone who’s traveling via London routes to the Park Venues…

I travel to and from Stratford International directly via Kent's Javelin Games Trains and providing you have an Olympic Park games ticket to go with discounted rail ticket to present; then no problem.

Shame I'm just outside the games travelcard zone, but £5.00 each way is not to shabby. :cool:

Soldato
Just a quick heads up, ticket drop last few mins, still showing many for GoalBall etc.

Edit: Well thats us sorted for Saturday 1st; Athletics, 1 hour break, Veladrome, 3 hour break, Athletics & then home :)

£52.00 each inc our travel costs, cant complain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom