Parental controls

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm wanting more control over the devices in the house and uses of YouTube and other sites. Either something to connect to the router.

I have a bt hub 5 but I don't really want to use the bt parental controls.

If possible something I can use via an app to set it on and off when needed.

Tia

Associate
Best to buy a router with decent parental controls. A Draytek 2860 is great for this but not cheap and complicated to setup. The Synology RT2600AC has parental controls that you can control via an android/iOS app and is easy to turn on and off, again this is also not cheap.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
id rather have hardware protection my end instead of BT

Silly question if i buy a new router how do they compare to Hub5? and how can i get my username & password off BT router etc?

Draytek 2860 - :o whoa £200! :o

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

A quick look shows it works as a browser: https://www.netnanny.com/support/ios/

They recommend disabling Safari so the only way to browse the net is via Net Nanny's browser.
Yeah that's a pretty big limitation. Lots of other ways of getting to the Internet, not to mention the individual apps... Ugh thinking about this stuff gives me the heebie jeebies. My 4 and 6 year old daughters are growing up so fast...

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
Thanks all,

Any idea how i can find out my BT login/passwords etc Ill save for the routers above it seems to be the right way forward.

Also would these work on BT infinity 2x / 75mbps?

I've looked at other hardware options

Disney Circle and other alternatives but some do not work in UK

Last edited:
Associate
Synology RT2600AC is probably you best bet as the iOS App / Android App are very good for changing the parental controls easily. They are also excellent for regular software updates and added a load more parental control options today.

You would also need to buy an Openreach HG612 modem to go with it if you don't already have one.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
That's slightly annoying, why another modem?

Or would this be the case with any router I buy?

I have an openreach modem no idea where it is though or even might have thrown it. just the hub 5 connected

The netgear Nighthawks look good too!

Last edited:
Associate
The parental controls on Netgear are pretty poor. The Synology RT2600AC has a lot of advantages as you can manage it remotely via the App, it also stores the web history so you see what they have been doing.

The Draytek 2860 has a built in modem so doesn't require the Openreach HG612.

Back
Top Bottom